prologue

P R O L O G U E

 .                    .           ✦             ˚                     

        ˚                 ✦        ,               ,             .

THROUGH THE SILENCE BROKE a single gunshot.

He was last to embrace her bullet, plummeting towards stone cold marble floor that could not evade his doom; scarlet blood drenched a white suit that whispered dirty secrets.

She recoiled and emptied the clip of her sniper before shoving the weapon into its holder strapped around her chest. Target Five: eliminated.

She didn't need to keep count but it had become a force of habit. Only one remained. And she wouldn't rest till she had his dead body on a silver platter in front of her.

Emptying the remainder of her bullets into the palm of her hand, she shoved them into her pocket and began to descend from the high rise building.

A chill scrambled down her back when she approached the elevator. She slung the sniper round her till it rested against her spine, before pulling on her trench coat and shrugging it over her shoulders.

The familiar feel of watchful eyes made her back stiffen, one hand disappearing into the pocket of her leather bottoms to grasp the bullets she'd concealed before, counting them with the pads of her fingers.

A short time passed before she decided on the stairs as a safer option - slipping on her shades, she wrapped her trench coat tighter around her frame. The security cameras, which usually flashed red, had no trace of colour. This was more than a coincidence.

Her hand dug into her purse as if she were searching for something, yet in the corner of her eye she watched as two men approached. They spoke between each other casually, but their eyes were trained on her as they both reached beneath their suit jackets.

Without question, she turned and quickened her pace, racing down the stairs only to hear their footsteps quicken behind me. Her gut instinct was right.

She heard the sound of a gun clock and didn't hesitate breaking into a sprint down the stairs as gunfire echoed around her, ripping into the walls and embedding into the ceiling, causing chunks of plaster to rain down.

She pivoted on her heel to face the men, a pistol in hand as she fired. Her aim was immaculate and hit one of the men square between the eyes, his body rolling down the stairs. The other man ducked as she let loose another two bullets.

Someone's presence shadowed her and she jerked her elbow back, slamming it into a hard, muscled stomach. He did so little as flinch, wrenching her back by the arm so it was twisted and pinned to her spine.

Her head threw itself back, smashing into his nose so that he jumped, eyes dark with anger. He lunged for her but she swung her leg out, landing a kick to his chest which slammed him against the wall. A quiet groan told her he was out.

Pulling another handgun from its veil under her coat, she turned to aim her guns at the man hiding. She could feel his gaze on her, searching her, causing her blood to itch with anticipation.

She sensed movement to her right and twisted round to face the threat. She could hear more men approaching and let out a silent curse.

Then a bullet shot at her, grazing her face so a harsh streak of blood lined her cheek bone. She threw herself against the wall and began to shoot. After a few more shots, she knew she'd hit her target when the sound of a body tumbled down the stairs.

She readied herself for battle before she heard what sounded like a vehement curse in French.

Right then, in a moment of weakness, she did something she'd never done before in all her years of experience. She froze.

How had they found her? After all these years?

An indescribable pain tore through her thigh. She grasped to hold onto something to steady herself as her body was flung to the ground, but there was nothing. The force dragged her down onto the floor with a gasp of pain that left her head ringing.

She'd been shot.

She tried to raise herself onto her elbows, determined to prepare for the fight, but her limbs gave way beneath her.

A rush of footsteps bombarded her senses, orders in French being shouted with evident panic that she had trouble focusing on.

The pain spread through her entire body quickly, paralyzing her to the ground. She could barely raise a finger. She recognised the bullet; after all, there were three in her pocket.

She fought to keep her eyes open, begging them to stay open. The bullet fought harder. It lured her drowsy state into the darkness. The last thing she could feel was her body being lifted from the ground, with her neck falling limp from the lack of support.

"Get your...fūcking hands...off me," she wheezed, using an overzealous amount of strength to raise her arm despite its numbness.

She successfully managed to scratch his cheek with her nails, leaving the smallest trail of red skin even though no blood surfaced.

And then, there was nothing.

AUTHORS NOTE

guys guys guys guys guys guys i can't comprehend what's going on rn🧍🏾‍♀️one minute BOTH my books were gone, the next fidelity shows up in my drafts as if it never disappeared

idk if this is some sort of glitch or if wattpad decided to restore it? either way im not going to risk losing my baby again so im creating an entirely different plot to avoid ANY copyright claims again 😐