𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

☊ : paper soldier
brent faiyaz

☊ : paper soldierbrent faiyaz

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

I DON'T WASTE ANY time; the second the door shuts softly behind me, I force the guilt down my throat and hurry down the hallway in the direction of the garage. I get to the foyer, quickening my step before I come to an immediate halt.

Ricky sits up, wide awake, watching me nonchalantly. Normally he would've been on the other end of the mansion, patrolling the east wing. Tension washes down my spine.

His glare doesn't shift from me.

"Is this about the knocking you unconscious thing?" I try joke, referring to when Aubrey and I went clubbing. He doesn't humour me, stalking me with his eyes.

"What's with the bag?" He queries, watching me watch as the suspicion builds inside him.

"I'm on my way to the gym." I lie smoothly.

Ricky looks doubtful as he glances at his wristwatch. "At 2 in the morning?" It's not a question, but rather a statement.

"I couldn't sleep," I shrug, "and you of all people should know that the grind never stops." To throw him off, I start walking in the direction of the gym, feeling his gaze as I round the corner but keep my calm.

Once I round the corner, with my heart thrumming, I listen closely for any following footsteps. Ricky didn't fully take the bait. I could still feel his suspicion from around the corner. He could be on his way to alert Alessandro right now.

The possibility spurs me on to get out as soon as possible.

I rush down the stairs that lead to the garage. My eyes immediately land on the motorcycles lined in rows nearest to the far end. My hands itch to touch them since I haven't in so long, but I know that that will raise too much curiosity from the guards.

Instead, I settle with the sleek matte black mustang at the far end. Alessandro has driven it multiple times on a casual basis, making it less suspicious if I were to drive it and possibly make him less angry if any damage were to come to it.

I waste no time sliding into the car, my hoodie already up. Usually, the alarm system would set off the second the garage doors opened, but I'd already disarmed them a couple of hours before.

My heart felt heavy in my chest. Blood runs thicker than water, right?

Pushing back my conscience, I silently start the car, making sure the lights aren't on as I wait for the garage doors to slide open. Once they have, I breeze past, leaving the mansion I've called 'home' for so long behind in the rear view mirror.