𝖊𝖑𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓

toxic
kehlani

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

I HEAR SOMEONE SINGING from downstairs and instantly recognise her voice. I find Aubrey in the kitchen, and for a second I can't help but smile as I spot the kitchen island, remembering last night wasn't a dream.

"Morning, sunshine," she greets me, coming over to wrap an arm around me. I'm still not used to this whole hugging thing but I welcome hers. "I'm just making some French toast. You want some?"

"As many as you can give me." I say, smiling. I like how comfortable it is to be around her. She flips the bread on the pan before sliding it on a plate and handing it to me.

"I was thinking we have a movie marathon in the theatre room?"

I raise my brows, taking a bite out of the toast. "What type of movies are you thinking?"

Aubrey stops and turns to face me. "Anything action or with shirtless men. Or Adam Sandler, of course." She waves the spatula dramatically and I roll my eyes, smiling whilst I lick my fingers.

"That was the best breakfast I've had in a while."

"It's all in the Italian roots." She winks at me, before pointing to a cupboard. "There's popcorn in the microwave and sweets in the pantry."

I pour the popcorn into a bowl while putting the sweets into two separate cups. "You down to watch The Hunger Games?" Aubrey asks.

"Is that even a question?"

Aubrey flashes me a smile. "I knew we'd get along."

An hour into the movie, I'm confident that diabetes is in both of our foreseeable futures. After crying over Rue's death for a good half an hour, Aubrey offers to refill the popcorn and I pause the movie, waiting for her to come back.

I feel my phone buzz in my back pocket. I don't recognise the number but I click the message anyway. It says 'Urgent' with a single picture attached below.

I don't hesitate to open it.

All of a sudden, the food in my stomach turns to mush and I feel sick.

The picture was Alessandro in what looked like a...club? And what disturbed me most was the woman stood between his legs. It took me a hot second before I recognised her — Luna.

The date under the picture was the same day Alessandro had stormed out and come home drunk. My heart sunk in my chest as I couldn't help wondering if this was all our marriage would be - I'd stay at home while he went out and fucked his mistresses when things weren't working out.