Chapter Ten: Feelings Abound

The next several days turned out to be quite restless for Kanako. As she kept trying to bask in the glow of a birthday spent with Akio, her mind continued to go back to Haruna and her actions. The cake at the café. The pier with the view... the kiss on the cheek. All of it swirled in Kanako's mind as she tried to figure out what it could've meant.

For most of her life, Kanako had known Haruna. Whether they were friends or enemies, the two had been a part of each other's lives for a very long time. Through this knowledge, Kanako felt like she knew Haruna pretty well. She knew Haruna's favorite flavor for most things was lime. She also knew that Haruna hated most perfumes. She even knew that Haruna was kind, despite most people believing otherwise. However, even with that kindness, there was one thing Kanako knew Haruna was not, and that was "intimate."

In all of Kanako's memories, she could never recall a time when Haruna had asked to hold her hand. There had never been a moment when Haruna smiled softly. And, Kanako knew with certainty that there had never once been a kiss of any sort. Actions like those were hardly ones she would think of when asked to describe Haruna and her behavior. In the past, she hadn't been cold, but it wasn't exactly warm either. Perhaps before she had even realized it, Haruna had begun to treat Kanako like a love rival. Or, maybe she just wanted to maintain some distance. Either of these options sounded plausible to Kanako. But regardless of which one it was (or even another option entirely), what had once been seemed to have changed.

After making their deal with Akio, Haruna had been so vehemently against the idea that Kanako was sure it was going to end within a week. She hated to admit it, but that thought had made her happy. If Haruna gave up on Akio, then the boy would be Kanako's for the taking. And yet, for some reason, Haruna had stayed. Whether it was through spite or a competitive drive, Haruna had remained, leaving Kanako to endure her constant verbal assaults. That time had been awful for Kanako and there had been many times when she thought about being the one to quit instead.

However, on the day that Haruna had finally called Kanako's name, there had clearly been a dramatic shift in their relationship. Neither girl had noticed at the time, but looking back, Kanako was sure that was the moment when their frozen friendship had begun to thaw. It had been years since Haruna had said the girl's name, calling her everything except what she was known as, but once Haruna did, change truly began to take hold.

It hadn't been hard to notice. Slowly, Kanako had seen Haruna warm up to her once more. At the time, she believed that it had all been to try and win Akio's heart, especially considering Haruna had said as much. But, with the boy and girl not getting along as well anymore, Kanako started to wonder what it all meant. There was no longer a deal in place, and yet, if anything, Haruna's act as a girlfriend had only increased. In fact, it was her entire demeanor toward Kanako that was now a far cry from what it used to be.

Due to Haruna's changes in particular, Kanako had wondered if she needed to change herself. She had thought and thought about it, fought with Michi over it and even ran because of it. Through it all, Kanako had felt so worried and confused, and those emotions had eventually boiled over. And then, who would come to find her, lost and crying in the woods, than the girl that had been indirectly responsible for causing such emotions in the first place.

Haruna had held Kanako close. She had done her best to comfort Kanako in the best way she could and Kanako knew that. And now, looking back again, it was perhaps that moment that Kanako found she didn't mind the newfound closeness that she had gained with Haruna. There was a gentleness in it and a kindness in it that Kanako couldn't recall Haruna having before, but now that she did, Kanako embraced it. She had always wanted to be closer to the girl she grew up with, and after spending years apart, that desire was even stronger.