Chapter Fifteen: Mid-Terms Yet Again

Over the course of the next couple of weeks, several changes occurred. The first was that all students switched to their winter uniforms. The girls' uniform remained nearly the same, with the only difference being the sleeves were now long instead of short. As for the guys, they were required to wear a navy blue blazer that match the same blue on the girls' skirts. And as per usual, most of the students complained about how late the switch was. Being so far north, it had already been on the colder side in Iwanai, so the fact that it took until mid-October to make the uniform change was one that confused and irritated many.

The next thing to affect the student body was that a certain time of year had come once more. Mid-terms were now just around the corner, getting students to shift into study mode. The hallways were buzzing with a mixture of "I'm not worried at all!" and "I'm doomed!"

However, while changes went through the students of Iwanai Municipal High School, there was one change that struck only an individual. During these past couple of weeks, she'd been fraught with lingering worries, doubts and fears. With a friendship teetering on one end and a love interest tipping toward the side she didn't want, Haruna Endo's mood kept worsening.

It wasn't as if she was always mad or bothered. Really, it was just that Haruna was in a constant state of unease. Michi and Chiyo had gotten closer recently while Haruna was still in limbo with the gal, adding more to her already building worries that Kanako was going to get swept away by Akio. All of these concerns coursing through her mind made it very difficult to focus on studying.

She knew there were simple solutions to her problems, but as is the case with most people, Haruna kept letting her own pride get in the way and instead kept opting to let herself overthink everything. Doing that did her no good, as it only served to make her unease rise. Perhaps the real problem was that Haruna had been doing nothing but thinking recently. She thought she had had a wave of momentum to ride with Kanako, but just as soon as she had thought that, it had been dashed away by Kanako herself (even if it was unintentional). Since then, Haruna had done little, and it was because of that that she took yet another hit.

In the time leading up to mid-terms, Haruna had thought about asking Kanako to study together, but at the same time she went to ask, Akio had beat her to the punch. The pair then ended up going to the library, with Haruna following them. It felt childish to do such a thing, but she couldn't help it. Part of her thought about jumping out at joining them in an attempt to ruin whatever plan Akio had. But for some reason, she hadn't done that. Haruna ended up just watching them. Nothing really noteworthy happened, but just seeing Akio and Kanako get along so well put Haruna's stomach in knots.

There had been other moments recently as well. Akio getting Kanako alone for lunch, convincing her to walk home with him while Haruna was at her conditioning practice for her club, and once he had even surprised her with a random gift. It was clear to Haruna that Akio was stepping up his efforts. She knew that she should respond in kind, but instead, she just kept letting it go on. Haruna didn't have a clue what she should do, and it was the feeling of being lost that reminded Haruna just how much she needed Chiyo.

Without the gal by her side, events between Kanako and Akio would just keep happening while Haruna stood still. If what had happened recently was any indication, Akio would just keep upping his game until Haruna was left far behind. That had become all too clear after something Haruna had witnessed one day after school.

On a day that both Haruna and Kanako had club activities, Haruna had been on her way back into the school to change into her uniform. After, she would follow the usual routine of stopping by Kanako's clubroom and picking her up. Then as the two of them went to leave the school, Akio would join them. It had all become pretty normal, but one day, just as Haruna had started walking down the hall, she heard familiar voices. "Is that...Kanako?" she wondered.