Chapter 18

New York was in chaos. It hadn't even been four years since the last time the Avengers battled in New York.
Cars and buses had been sloppily strewn about by Kristin Jones. Families sprinted through the streets, getting hit in the cross fire. Cops abandoned their duties and concerned themselves with their own safety rather than helping the citizens.
Tony Stark flew around his ex-wife, dodging numerous cars in the process. Boy, was she pissed. He maneuvered out of the way as Natasha shot at Kristin and Barton pelted her with arrows.
"Dad! Watch out!" He nearly missed a chunk of a building that had almost fallen on him. He quickly scanned the battlefield, finding the voice's owner at the same time Kristin did.
Kristin gave Tony a sickly sweet smile. "Ready to watch your baby girl die?" Kristin taunted.
"You won't touch my kid." Tony hissed, shooting a repulser at her.
Kristin caused a ripple in the air to deflect the ray. "Bad move."
Demy watched helplessly as the deflected ray pierced Pepper in the heart. "Pepper!" She screamed, bolting past Kristin.
Demy grabbed a discarded police gun and aimed it at Kristin.
"Cry me a river." Kristin laughed.
Her laughter was cut short by a bullet flying out of her forehead.
"Bleed me one." Natasha snapped.
Tony dropped to his knees by Pepper's side. He was too late.
Pepper was gone.

---

Demy Stark sat at Tony's bar with an untouched beer bottle in her hand.
Tony had skipped town after the battle. Something about not being able to deal with the loss.
Natasha and Barton had left as well along with, well, everyone. Only Steve had stayed.
"Beer at three a.m.?" Rosalie teased, pouring herself a glass of vodka. "C'mon, everything will be okay."
"If I had stayed home, Pepper would be alive." Demy muttered, running a hand through her hair. "I fucked up and now they're all gone."
Rosalie took the beer from her sister and dumped it out. "That's bullshit, Demy. Mom, she's a bitch, she screwed herself over. Pepper, complete accident. And Dad? He skipped on his own freewill. None of that matters now. What matters is you and I. I have you, you have me. We have Gage. End of discussion." She pulled her little sister into a hug. "We'll get through this, Demy. I promise."