4 | Rivalry

i'm so done with school already and i have like 4 and a half weeks until the christmas holidays

- - -

Potions was one of Y/n's favorite classes, one could say - mainly because the class has always been very easy for her. Slytherins were Snape's favorites, too, so she always managed to score many additional house points, which was a mere bonus.

''Hey, Adrien, could you pass me the slugs,'' Y/n asked. Adrien complied and handed the stewed slugs to the girl, taking some for himself.

''Oi, L/n,'' Montague called. Y/n looked at him as she crushed her fangs. ''You going to enter the Triwizard Tournament?''

'''Course I am,'' answered Y/n without hesitation. ''It's the Triwizard Tournament! The winner gets ethernal glory! And a thousand galleons, which isn't that bad either, you know?''

''So you think you can win?'' Monatgue asked.

''Well, yeah,'' Y/n cocked an eyebrow. ''What, you think I can't?''

''I mean . . .'' Montague said, causing Y/n to dramatically gasp as she added some porcupine quills to her potion.

''Well, of course if I get chosen, I'd expect you two to help me win,'' Y/n said and took her wand out of her robes, waving it over the bubling cauldron. ''Though, I'd say im witty enough to win it by myself.''

Montague couldn't come up with a comeback before Snape approached their table, taking a look at their cauldrons.

''Another excellent brew, Miss L/n,'' Snape complimented when he took a peek at the girl's potion. ''Ten points to Slytherin.''

Y/n beamed. ''Thank you, Professor.''

Snape walked to the front of the classroom, grabbing the attention of the class. ''This was a Cure for Boils revision and yet some of you still managed to completely mess it up. I won't be surprised if some of you don't pass your N.E.W.T.s next year, I even wonder how you managed to land in my potions class.''

Y/n laughed at Snape's encouraging words towards the class. Once he dismissed them, she quickly packed her backpack and walked out of the room with Adrien and Montague, her and the former parting with the latter who had a different class.

''You've been uncharacteristically quiet for the past hour, Adrien,'' Y/n pointed out, realizing she'd spoken with Montague during most of the class. ''Are you alright?''

Adrien looked up - he'd been looking at his shoes, seemingly deep in thought - and gave her a nod. ''Yeah, I'm fine.''

''You sure?'' Y/n asked skeptically. She's known him since they were eleven, she can tell when he's lying.

''Yeah,'' Adrien said. ''Anyway, how do you think that Mad-Eye fellow is going to be like as a teacher?''

Y/n noticed he was avoiding the topic, but she shrugged it off. If he wanted to talk, he would talk with her. ''Dunno, but he didn't seem very sane to me. It's going to be interesting seeing him try to teach us something.''

The two continued walking, coming across a group of first year Gryffindors on their way to the staircases. Y/n noticed her brother and when they made eye contact, she waved at him. He nodded in aknowledgment, then returned to his conversation with his friend.

The two finally made it to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, scoring themselves seats in the back. Fred and George Weasley were there already, having taken one of the desks in the back of the classroom as well.

Fred took notice of Y/n entering the classroom alongside with Pucey and quickly slipped from his seat, approaching her. He sat down on the desk in front of hers and turned around to face her. ''Hello there, L/n.''

''What do you want, Weasley,'' Y/n said as she put her bag on the ground and taking out her quill and ink.

''Just here to complain about not being able to kick your butt at Quidditch this year,'' Fred said. ''Though would it count if I get chosen to be the Hogwarts Champion? Are you even entering?''

''Who do you take me for? Of course I'm entering,'' Y/n said. ''Though, I'm not sure if you have the guts for the tournament.''

Fred gave her a grin. ''Are you really doubting my guts? I'm a Gryffindor for a reason,'' he reminded. ''George and I have pranked McGonagall, how hard can a lousy tournament be?''

''You seem very confident, though you'll probably be singing a different song if you somehow get chosen to be the champion,'' Y/n said. ''But we'll see, I guess.''

Adrien watched as the two conversed and playfully teased each other. He wasn't sure if the two of them were aware that from the outside, one would think they were flirting. She didn't like Weasley like that, Adrien always reminded himself. He was sure she didn't. If she did, she would've told him, right? He still had a chance, right?

''Oi, Pucey, class is starting and you haven't even taken your things out,'' Y/n spoke, shaking the boy out of his trance-like state. He was so deep in thought that he hadn't noticed the Gryffindor boy leaving and the professor entering the classroom. ''Are you sure you're fine? You seem really out of it.''

''Yeah, yeah, just thinking,'' Adrien said and reached down to take out his quill and ink. He looked towards the twins' desk, which was right next to his and Y/n's. The twins were whispering to each other and he could see one of them - Fred, he guessed - throwing looks at Y/n every few moments.

Adrien had noticed Fred's different behavior towards Y/n this year. He was flirtier, though he supposed Y/n wasn't taking it as flirting, as they had always had this frenemies relationship going on. Nevertheless, Adrien was having none of it.

You want a fight, Weasley? Then so be it.