16 | Confrontation

hey hey hey! how was your week y'all?

- - -

Fred had his whole plan ready now, thanks to Angelina's help. Now, the only thing he had to do was get Y/n away from everyone and ask her. He had the flowers and the chocolates ready - all he had to do was find her now.

Yet that proved to be harder than he expected. Not only did they barely have any classes together, but in the classes she shares with him she'll always be the last one to arrive and the first one to leave. If he didn't know better, Fred would've thought she was avoiding him.

Y/n, on the other hand, found it rather easy to avoid him. She was glad they were in different houses, otherwise it would've been more complicated.

She knew it was petty of her, but she couldn't help it. He's been leading her on for months now, playing as if he had feelings for her. Y/n genuenly thought he might like her, too, but that proved to be wrong the moment she caught him asking Angelina to the Yule Ball. Or, at least, she thought he did.

By dinner the next day, Fred was starting to get suspicious. Maybe she was avoiding him. But what for? Had he done something wrong? Did he somehow upset her? She wasn't even acknowledging him in the hallways now, which was very unusual. Worry started creeping up to him.

He sat at the Gryffindor table, staring right at where Y/n was sitting on the Slytherin one. She was uncharacteristically quiet, occasionally speaking with Viktor Krum, who's usual seat was next to her by now. 

She seemed fine, so why was she acting like that towards him?

''If you keep on looking, you might just cut a hole in her head,'' spoke George as he took a bite of his steak.

''I don't get it, George,'' said Fred as he turned to look at his brother. ''I'm sure she's been avoiding me the past two days, but for what? What did I do? And just in the time I wanted to ask her to go to the ball with me!''

''How am I supposed to know that?'' asked George, talking with his mouth full. ''You can corner her somewhere and ask her, I don't know. Or ask some of her friends.''

''I'm not asking Pucey about Y/n,'' said Fred sternly. Sure, he could tolerate Pucey if Y/n were with them, but he wasn't about to have a one-on-one conversation with the Slytherin. ''I'll try to catch up to her and talk to her.''

Fred waited until Y/n got up from her table. He did, too, leaving behind his almost finished plate of food and grabbing the flowers and chocolates, before running after the girl.

''Y/n, wait!''

She stiffened upon the call, cursing herself for not checking if Fred had seen her. Stopping in her tracks she turned around, facing the boy with crossed arms. ''What?'' she asked nonchalantly.

''I want to talk,'' Fred asked, keeping the goods behind his back. ''Have you been avoiding me?''

''Take a guess, Weasley.''

Okay, she is mad, then. I must've done something, Fred thought, racking his brain for a reason.

''What did I do?'' asked Fred. 

''Nothing,'' Y/n said, causing Fred to furrow his eyebrows.

''Then why have you been avoiding me?'' he asked, getting slightly frustrated. He didn't want to be mad at her, but he was really confused and wanted answers.

''It's nothing, I just don't deem it as necessary for us to spend that much time together anymore,'' said Y/n.

''Why're you talking so formally?'' asked Fred, shaking his head. ''Look, Y/n, I'm sorry for whatever I did, I really am. So, would you please stop avoiding me and go to the Yule Ball with me?''

Fred brought out the chocolates and flowers, hoping it would soften Y/n a bit, yet her expressioin remained neutral.

''What, Angelina said no to you? Am I your back up option?'' asked Y/n, getting slightly mad.

Fred furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. ''What?''

''Don't play clueless, Fred,'' said Y/n, shifting her weight on her left leg, having been tired of leaning on her right. ''I heard you ask Angelina in the hallway two days ago, though I thought she accepted. Apparently not.''

He realized what she was talking about - the time he asked Angelina for advice. Y/n was there, too?

''I didn't ask Angelina to the ball, I asked her for advice!'' Fred explained. ''I wanted to ask you to the ball, but I wasn't sure if I should do whatever I'd planned, so I asked Angelina.''

Y/n stopped, her eyebrows raising slightly. He was asking Angelina for advice to ask her to the Yule Ball? Goddamit, how fucking stupid are you, Y/n?

''I . . .'' she was in a loss of words. Her arms went to her face, trying to hide her embarrassed face. ''I thought . . . oh boy.''

''It's okay,'' said Fred as he approached her, trying to put a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

''It's not okay, Fred,'' Y/n said as she ran a hand through her hair. ''Just before I walked in on you and Angelina, Adrian had asked me to go with him and I said I'd think about it. But after I saw you two, I assumed you'd asked Angelina, so I said yes to Adrian.''

Fred's expression fell, as did the flowers he was holding. He took his hand away from her shoulder and took a step back. ''Oh . . .''

''I'm so sorry, Fred,'' Y/n tried to reach him out to him, but Fred jerked back and away from her.

''It's fine, don't worry about it,'' said Fred. ''I hope you have a good time with Adrien.''

She wanted to break down and cry as she watched Fred walk away towards his common room, feeling extremely bad for hurting both him and herself just because of a mere misunderstanding.