12 | Transfiguration

hey y'all, how was your week?

- - -

It was weird - usually, Fred was full of ideas for any kind of mischief and always has an escape plan for a dangerous situation. Yet right now, when he needs it most, he head no thoughts, his head was empty. He had no clue what he was going to do to fight against that dragon.

Worst of all, the task was tomorrow.

George wasn't sure what to think as he watched his brother lay on his bed, the notebook they usually use for joke products ideas sitting in front of him - it's been like this for the past few hours - yet it was still completely blank. He himself wasn't sure what he would do if he were to be in Fred's situation.

''You know what,'' said Fred as he rose to his feet, picking up the notebook. ''I'll go browse through some books in the library. I might find something, who knows.''

George nodded, deciding to stay behind to finish the making of more Ton Tongue Toffee. Maybe he had to leave his brother to do this one on his own.

Fred ran a hand through his hair as he walked down the hallway, starting to get slightly nervous about the dragon. He was sure Fleur and Krum already had something figured out - Harry probably had something as well, he was Harry Potter, after all.

But what was little old Fred Weasley going to do?

''Look who the wind brought in,'' a very familiar voice spoke and Fred turned around, noticing Y/n catching up to him. She was alone, as she had been for the past few weeks - wasn't Adrien with her twenty-four-seven? Fred couldn't help but feel relieved that she wasn't with him all the time nowadays.

''Isn't the saying 'Look what the wind brought in?''' asked Fred, a small smile tugging on his lips. The two fell into step, still going in the direction of the library.

''Yeah, but you're a person,'' Y/n pointed out, holding her hands behind her back. ''Where're you off to?''

''Library,'' Fred said, pointing at the door as they had just arrived in front of the room. ''I have to look for a way to defeat that dragon tomorrow.''

Y/n's eyes widened slightly. ''You still haven't figured anything out?''

''No,'' Fred shook his head. ''I've been trying, but nothing is coming to mind. Maybe I'm too nervous and that's clouding my mind.''

''The Fred Weasley is nervous? Somehow I don't believe that,'' Y/n said and grabbed his wrist, pulling him into the library. ''I'm sure we'll figure something out, though.''

''You're going to help me?'' asked Fred, cocking an eyebrow.

''Sure, I've nothing to do anyway,'' Y/n said. ''Besides, I'd prefer if you didn't get scorched by that dragon, you know?''

Fred's heart did a leap, yet he still joked. ''Oh, she cares.''

''Sure,'' Y/n said nonchalantly. ''Anyway, grab some Charms and Transfiguration books, since you're only allowed a wand anyway.''

The two separated, Y/n going for Transfiguration and Fred for Charms. Each of them brought four books on one of the tables in the far corner of the library so they can have some peace and quiet as they figure out a way for Fred not to be eaten by a dragon.

''How about Herbivicus?'' asked Fred as he went through the book he was reading.

''Isn't that a plant growing spell?'' asked Y/n as she looked up from the Transfiguration book.

''Yeah.''

''So what're you gonna do? Wrap the dragon in vines? I don't think that would hold it down,'' Y/n said and went back to reading.

Fred nodded. ''Yeah, you're right,'' he said and looked at his own book as well. ''What about Obscuro?''

''By blinding the dragon it won't know where it's going and might damage or hurt something,'' Y/n explained and Fred simply nodded.

The two continued going through the books, yet not finding anything suitable enough. Students started to slowly leave the library, as it was getting quite late. They still had around an hour to find something for Fred to use against the dragon - if they didn't find anything, Fred wasn't sure what he was going to do. He couldn't just sneak Y/n in the common room and to his dorm so they can continue.

''We're not going to find anything, are we?'' asked Fred as he laid his head on top of his seventh Charms book. ''I'm going to get pummeled by that dragon tomorrow.''

Y/n looked up and at Fred, rising an eyebrow. ''Don't tell me you're giving up,'' she said, skepticism lacing her voice. ''You're a Gryffindor, aren't you? You lot don't give up so easy, do you? Besides, you're Fred Weasley - I don't take you as the type to run away, unless it's from detention.''

Fred looked at her, contemplating. She was right - of course she was, she always is - he couldn't just give up. And they were bound to find something, just like Fleur, Krum and Harry did. They have to.

''You're right,'' Fred straightened up and looked at her. ''I can't give up - and I have the best helper I possibly could.''

''I guess I'm not allowed to tell George and Lee you said that,'' Y/n said, causing Fred to chuckle. ''Besides, I think I found something.''

Fred rose an eyebrow in question. Y/n slid over the Transfiguration book to him and pointed at the words written on the page. Fred read them carefully, a small smile forming at his face. ''That sounds very promising,'' he said as he nodded his head in approval.

''I think so, but considering the dragon is so big, you'll have to be extremely concentrated to pull it off,'' Y/n warned him. ''And you should practice beforehand, but where?''

''We can ask McGonagall to let us use her classroom, I'm sure she'd agree if it's for the Triwizard Tournament,'' Fred said and Y/n nodded.

The two quickly returned the books they'd taken out, except the one containing the spell Fred was supposed to practice, and made their way to McGonagall's classroom.

She was thankfully still there when they arrived. ''Professor McGonagall, may we use your classroom for Transfiguration practice? It's for the Task tomorrow.''

The professor eyed the two up and down, before reluctantly nodding. ''I will only allow you two two hours to do so, then I'll come pick you up and bring you back to your common rooms.''

McGonagall left the two on their own devises and Fred took his wand out, listening intently to Y/n as she explained to him exactly what he was supposed to do. He tried it a few times, each time taking a bigger object, succeeding every single time.

''It's almost time for McGonagall to come back,'' Y/n said as she checked her wrist watch. ''You're doing it very well - keep it up tomorrow as well and I'm sure you'll win.''

Fred nodded, pocketing his wand. ''I will,'' he said and looked at the girl. ''I wouldn't have figured it out without you.''

Y/n shrugged as she swung her legs slightly, sitting on top of one of the desks. ''It's nothing, really. I'm glad I could help.''

''No, really,'' Fred said as he approached her. He made his way between her legs and wrapped his arms around her waist, nuzzling his nose in her shoulder. ''Thank you very much, Y/n.''

Y/n felt her heart doing leaps as she slowly and rather awkwardly wrapped her arms around him as well, patting him on the back a few times. ''No problem, Freddie.''