15 | Misunderstanding

hey y'all, how was your week? also, thank you guys so much for 13k reads!

- - -

Adrien wasn't sure what he wanted anymore.

Ever since the Yule Ball was announced, he's been in a conflict with himself. If it were him in the beginning of the year, he would be sure the one he wanted to go with was Y/n. Though recently, he hasn't been so sure. He hasn't been feeling as jealous as he usually would when she interracted with Fred Weasley. He hasn't spent that much time with her either.

He's been spending most of his time with Montague.

Adrien shook his head, trying to clear it. He's confused, but it'll pass. He'll ask Y/n to go with him, full stop.

Though, was that where his heart truly laid?

He found Y/n seated on the sofa in the common room, talking with one of her roommates. Standing behind them he cleared his throat, catching their attention. ''Y/n, can we go on a walk? I'd like to talk to you about something.''

Y/n nodded and bid goodbye to her roommate, then followed Adrien out of the common room.

The two of them made their way around the castle, since it was way too cold to go out without coats. Adrien waited until they were in an empty hallway before he stopped, casuing Y/n to come in a halt as well, confusion lacing her features.

''Adrien, are you okay?'' she asked.

''Would you like to go to the ball with me?''

''Hey, Angelina, can we talk?'' Fred asked as he approached the girl, who'd been sitting on the couch in the common room. The girl nodded and stood up, saying goodbye to Alicia.

The two of them made their way out of the common room and to an empty hallway, where Fred stopped, as did Angelina. Fred seemed rather nervous, which led Angelina to misunderstand his intentions.

''You're not asking me to the Yule Ball, are you?''

Fred's eyes widened and he shook his head. ''No, no, I know George asked you already and you agreed,'' he said, causing Angelina to let out a sigh in relief. ''I just need advice.''

Angelina cocked an eyebrow. ''Oh? What is it?''

''I want to ask Y/n to the ball,'' Fred said, fumbling with his fingers. ''But I'm not exactly sure how to. I came up with something, but I don't know if it's that good, and since you're a girl and everything . . .''

''Understandable. What do you have?''

Y/n stared in Adrien in surprise. ''I, uh . . . I don't know what to say, Adrien. Are you sure I'm the right person?''

''Yeah,'' Adrien nodded. ''Do you . . . not want to go with me?''

''That's not it, no,'' Y/n shook her head, feeling bad. ''Can I think about it? Please.''

Adrien didn't feel as hurt as he expected to be. ''Yeah, it's fine,'' he nodded. ''Though, I expect you wanted someone else to ask you, didn't you?''

Y/n gave a shy and embarrassed smile. ''Yeah.''

''It's that Weasley, isn't it?'' Adrien suggested, causing Y/n's eyes to widen.

''How did you-''

''It's obvious,'' said Adrien. ''And, I think he likes you, too. I'm sure he'll ask you to the ball.''

Y/n stepped closer to Adrien and wrapped her arms around him. ''Thank you for understanding, Adrien. This is why you're my best friend.''

He didn't feel the pang in his heart he usually did when she called him a friend. ''Yeah. You're my best friend, too.''

The two separated, Y/n telling Adrien she was going to take a walk before returning to the common room. Adrien understood that she wanted to be on her own for now, so he turned around and went back in the same direction they came from.

Y/n, on the other hand, continued down the hallway, until she came to a corner when she heard am excited, ''Yes! That's perfect, Fred!''

She stiffened, gluing herself to the wall. Did she just hear correctly? Did Fred just ask Angelina Johnson to the ball?

''I'm glad you agreed, thank you, Angie,'' Fred said. Y/n peaked from the corner and saw the exact moment Angelina threw herself at Fred, the two of them embracing tightly and laughing.

For the first time, Y/n felt her heart ache because of Fred Weasley.

- - -

Adrien noticed Y/n's sadness and disappointment when she finally returned to the common room and sat down next to him on the sofa. He didn't say anything, not wanting to pressure her into talking. If she wanted to tell him, she will.

He couldn't help but wonder if she was sad because of Fred. Had something happened in the short time she was alone?

''Hey, Adrien,'' Y/n spoke, causing the boy to hum and look at her. ''I think I've made up my mind.''

''About what?'' Adrien asked, confused. Something definetly happened. ''Made your mind about what?''

''I want to go to the Yule Ball with you.''

Adrien blinked one, twice, three times. What?

''What happened to wanting to go with Weasley?'' asked Montague, who'd been sitting on the armchair next to the couch. He wasn't sure how he was feeling about the whole ordeal, in all honesty. He would've preferred if Y/n had turned Adrian down, even if it might hurt his friend.

''He's going with Angelina,'' said Y/n, stuffing her hands in her hoodie's pockets. ''I heard them in the hallway.''

''Oh, I'm sorry, Y/n,'' Adrian said, actually feeling bad for his friend. Why did Fred ask Angelina in the first place? Adrian was sure Fred fancied Y/n. If he didn't, what was all that rivalry about? ''I'm happy we're going together, but I'm sorry you don't get to go with who you wanted to.''

''It's okay,'' said Y/n as she shrugged. ''It doesn't matter anyway. I was just stupid.''

Y/n got up and made her way up the stairs, taking two at a time, trying her best to get away from the common room as soon as possible. Just by that reaction alone, Adrian could tell that it did matter. It mattered a lot.