21 | The Second Task

hey y'all, how was your week? btw i might be taking a break next week bc i'm going back to school and don't have anymore pre-written chapters, but i'm not sure yet.

- - -

''Okay, so, you'll use the Bubblehead Charm to dive and retrieve whatever or whoever is taken,'' Y/n said.

Fred nodded. ''Yeah. Good thing I'm a quick swimmer.''

Y/n chuckled. ''Yeah.''

The two were sat in the library, going through what Fred had to do tomorrow one last time. It wasn't very late yet, though it was almost curfew time, so they would have to part ways for the night. Sometimes, each of them wishes they were in the same house.

Y/n stood up from where she was sitting on top of one of the desks and walked over to Fred, straddling him and wrapping her arms around the back of his neck. ''Are you nervous?''

Fred thought for a moment. ''I guess I am. Knowing you'd be there to cheer me on calms me down, though,'' Fred said with a grin, causing Y/n to roll her eyes.

''You're very cheesy, Freddie,'' Y/n said. She leaned closer and pressed her lips to his. One of Fred's hands went to tangle itself in her hair, enjoying the feeling of her lips on his own. To this day, he couldn't belive he actually gets to feel this. To feel her. To be with her. He prayed every day that this wasn't all a dream.

''Was that my good luck kiss?'' Fred asked, earning a chuckle from Y/n.

''You might just get another one tomorrow.''

''Y/n?''

The girl jumped up, falling on her butt upon hearing the voice. Fred was red in the face when he realized her brother was standing right in front of them, watching them with disgust.

''What're you doing here, Sam?'' Y/n asked as she stood up, crossing her arms in front of her chest and trying to suppress the blush she knew was coating her cheeks.

''I could ask you the same thing. I certainly didn't need to see that. Just wait until George finds out!'' Sam pointed out, causing Fred to groan. He knew George would tell Ron and Lee, and then the three would be pestering him about it. ''Anyway, Professor McGonagall asked me to fetch you.''

Y/n rose an eyebrow. ''What for?''

Sam shrugged. ''She didn't say.''

Y/n nodded and Fred got up to follow was well, though Sam put his hand out. ''McGongall told me to only bring Y/n. She even specifically said for you to not tag along.''

Fred put a hand over his heart, looking offened. ''Damn, Minnie doesn't want me. That hurts,'' Fred chuckled at his own joke before giving Y/n a peck on her lips. ''I'll see you tomorrow, then, Princess.''

Y/n scoffed and looked away upon hearing the nickname, especially as her brother was standing right in front of her. ''Yeah, see you, Freddie.''

The three parted ways and, once alone, Sam spoke. ''You guys make me want to barf.''

''Shup up, Samuel.''

- - -

It was weird, really. Fred thought Y/n would be waiting for him in front of the common room entrance, or perhaps at breakfast, but she didn't appear anywhere the whole morning. He was starting to get worried, considering the last time he saw her was the day before.

He glanced at Pucey and Montague, contemplating. Should he ask them? They were her friends, and it wasn't like they would eat him. Though if possible, he'd like to avoid any possible interaction with them.

A sigh left his lips as he stood up, telling his friends he'll be back. He made his way towards the Slytherin table, hands in pockets. Clearing his troath, he grabbed the Slytherin's attention. ''Pucey, Montague, do you know where Y/n is?''

The two Slytherins shared a look, as if questioning each other if they should tell him anything. Pucey looked at Fred at last. ''We haven't seen her since she left to meet up with you yesterday. She didn't come back to the common room, either. We asked her dormmates.''

Now Fred was getting even more worried. Where could she have possibly gone to?

It was almost time for the second task to start - he was already wearing the swimsuit the school provided for the event, his wand attached to his hip. Y/n wasn't there, and neither was Harry, or Ron or Hermione. Harry did appear at a long last, rushing as he was late. The signal was given and the competitors dived in.

Fred conjured the Bubblehead Charm, much like Y/n had instructed him to, and jumped in the water right after Krum and Fleur. He couldn't see much, so he lost a sight of them pretty soon. Keeping on swimming deeper, it took him quite some time until he saw something other than seaweed, his eyes widening upon the sight.

There was Y/n, clad in her school uniform, her ankles and wrists bound by rope so she wouldn't float up. Her face was pale, her eyes closed, and her hair was floating up. She was beautiful, no doubt, but now was not the time to think such things.

He looked at the other three people, noticing Ron, Hermione and a smaller, blonde girl. Fred looked at his brother, wondering what the hell he was doing down there out of all people. Should he fetch him, too? But someone else is supposed to fetch him, right.

Throwing one last glance at Ron, Fred swam over to Y/n, taking his wand out and snapping the ropes with a simple spell. He wrapped his arms around her so she wouldn't float away, just as Harry arrived at the scene as well, seeing the three bound people.

Harry looked at Fred, noticing he held Y/n already. When Harry gestured towards the others Fred simply shook his head, telling him not to, before starting to swim back towards the top, one of his arms still tightly wrapped around her waist.

It took some time, but when Fred and Y/n's heads made it out of the water, Y/n took a sharp breath, starting to cough. ''Fred . . . Fred is that you?''

''Yeah, it's me, love,'' Fred said, still keeping his arms around her and pushed his feet to keep them floating.

''What happened?'' Y/n asked, looking around and trying to take it what was happening.

''You were the thing that got stolen from me,'' Fred admitted, a cheeky smile on his face. ''The thing I would miss the most.''

A small smile took over Y/n's face. ''That's sweet, Freddie,'' she said, running a hand through his hair. ''Can we go back to the shore, though? I'm freezing.''

Fred realized they were still in the middle of the lake and nodded, assisting her towards the shore. When they arrived, George and Lee helped the two out, giving each of them a towel. Y/n was shaking from the cold and Fred, in an attempt to keep her warmer, wrapped his arms around her and brought her closer.

Fleur turned out to be eliminated, and Harry and Krum came up soon enough. As the champions and their people all sat at the shore, Dumbledore walked over to talk to the merepeople, probably to talk about the scores.

Once done conversing, Dumbledore stood up and placed his wand at his throat to make his voice louder. ''And the winner of the second task is . . . Fred Weasley!''

The crowd cheered, while Fred sat there, starstruck. Sure, he'd arrived first, but somehow, he assumed they'd make Harry come up first. They didn't, though. Fred had won this one.

''Congratulations, Freddie!'' Y/n called, wrapping her arms around him in a hug. Fred hugged her back, letting his head fall on her shoulder as he laughed in delight.

''I love you, Y/n.''

Y/n pulled back, staring at Fred with wide eyes. Fred, however, had a cheeky smile on his face, certainly not regretting his words nor seeming embarrassed about them. That brought a smile to Y/n's face, too, as she leaned back into the hug.

''I love you, too, Freddie.''