8 | Chosen

helloooooo everyone, how was your week? it's finally holidays for me, yay! also, i might or might not have colored my hair ginger yesterday oop

- - -

Y/n entered the Great Hall on her own for the first time in a while that evening. She hasn't seen Adrien all day - not that she was looking for him, but it would've been nice to at least catch a glimpse of him.

She'd thought on their conversation and decided that what she'd said and done had been stupid - Adrien has been her best friend since they were in diapers, of course he'd be worried for her. She wanted to make up with him, but in the same time she still felt kind of sad that he wasn't supporting her decision.

The Slytherin table was rather full when she arrived and, to her luck, Adrien was there too, a free seat next to him. Y/n walked over to him and sat down, putting her hands on the table.

The two didn't say a thing for a moment until Adrien finally spoke. ''Sorry for not supporting your decision.''

''It's fine,'' Y/n said and looked at him, giving him a tight-lipped smile. ''I'm sorry for getting annoyed at you, I understand your point of view. Can we just forget the morning happened?''

''Yeah,'' Adrien nodded. ''I hope your slip of paper comes out of that fire.''

Y/n chuckled humorlessly as she shook her head. ''You don't mean that.''

''I do!'' Adrien protested. ''If you were to get chosen, I'll help you if you need me to! I'm sure you can win.''

She decided not to say anything and simply nodded.

After dinner ended, Dumbledore, along with Karkaroff and Madame Maxime rose from their seats. Ludo Bagman was beaming, whilst Barty Crouch seemed almost disinterested.

''Well, the Goblet is almost ready to make it's decision,'' said Dumbledore. ''I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions' names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through to the next chamber-'' he indicated to the door behind the staff table - ''where they will be receiving thier first instructions.''

He took out his wand and gave a great sweeping wave with it, at once, all the candles except those inside the carved pumpkins were extinguished, plunging them all into a state of semi-darkness. The Goblet of Fire now shone more brightly than anything in the whole Hall, the sparkling bright, bluey-whiteness of the flames almost painful to the eyes. Everyone watched, waiting . . . a few people kept checking their watches . . .

''Any second now,'' whispered Adrian, as if he spoke louder it would reset the timer.

The flames inside the Goblet turned suddenly red again. Sparks began to fly from it. Next moment, a tongue of flames shot into the air, a charred piece of parchment fluttered out of it - the whole room gasped.

Dumbledore caught the piece of parchment and held it at an arms lengt, so that he could read it by the light of the flames, which had turned back to blue white.

''The champion for Durmstrang,'' he said, in a strong, clear voice. ''will be Viktor Krum.''

''No surprises there!'' yelled Ron Weasley as everyone started clapping.

Krum rose up from his seat next Y/n - a seat he'd been using at all meals - and slouched his way towards Dumbledore. He took a right turn and made a beeline for the door that would lead to the next chamber.

''Bravo, Viktor!'' boomed Karkaroff, so loudly that everyone could hear him, even over the applause. ''Knew you had it in you!''

The clapping and chatting died down. Everyone's attention was once again at the Goblet as another piece of parchment flew out, Dumbledore catching it with ease.

''The champion for Beauxbatons,'' said Dumbledore. ''Is Fleur Delacour!''

The Hall broke into applause again, though Fleur's school-mates didn't seem very pleased - two girls had fully broken into tears.

Y/n crossed her fingers, diverting her attention back to the Goblet. Only one champion left, only the Hogwarts champion left . . .

Please be me, please be me, please be me . . .

The last piece of parchment flew out and Dumbledore caught it, taking a look. ''The Hogwarts champion . . .''

Please, please, please . . .

''Is Fred Weasley!''

Y/n blinked once, twice, three times. It wasn't her. She wasn't the champion. But Fred was. Of course he was, he was a Gryffindor. After all, Gryffindors always got all the glory.

Adrien looked at Y/n, who simply gave him a smile. ''See, I didn't get chosen. There was no need to worry.'' The boy knew she wasn't as unbothered as she seemed, but he wasn't sure how to console her.

Loud applause followed for the Hogwarts champion, Fred, who jumped up and started cheering loudly, beckoning the crowd to be even louder. He high fived George and Lee, along with Harry and Ron when he passed them. When he walked by Y/n, they shared a look - Y/n gave him a smile and thumbs up, whist Fred winked and hurried to go to the other chamber.

She wasn't as disappointed as she expected to be - sure, it wasn't fun to not be chosen, but she knew she didn't have a chance. It is what it is, as they say.

Besides, it was Fred who was the champion - she didn't mind cheering for him at all. She couldn't help but feel something in the pit of her stomach, a worrisome feeling for Fred.

''Excellent!'' Dumbledore called happily, as at last the tumult died down. ''Well, now we have our three champions. I am sure I can count upon all of you, including the remaining students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang to give your champions every ounce of support you can muster. By cheering your champions on, you will contribute in a very real-''

But Dumbledore suddenly stopped speaking, and it was apparent to everybody what had distracted him.

The fire in the Goblet had just turned red again. Sparks were flying out of it. A long flame shot suddenly into the air, and borne upon it was another piece of parchment.

Dumbledore reached for the parchment, snatching it mid-air. He held it out and stared at the name written upon it. There was a long pause, during which Dumbledore stared at the slip in his hands, and everyone in the room stared at Dumbledore. And then Dumbledore cleared his throat, and read out-

''Harry Potter.''