Awkward Encounters

"So, he crashed your date?" Eva stares at me.

We're sitting in a cafe near our apartment, the day after the "date". I'm telling Ev everything. From the necklace situation to our uninvited guest.

Eva stares at me, thinking of what to say next. "He invited you to dinner?"

"Unfortunately, yes. He invited you and Stefan too. So that's just great." I lay my head down on my arm and sigh.

"Well, we're going to go," Ev takes a bite out of her doughnut. I look at her with the best puppy eyes I could muster.

"I don't want to go! Ugh-" I whine, slamming my head on the table. "It's going to be so awkward! Toronto's a huge city! Out of all the apartments he could've gone he ended up in the one next to ours." I smack my head on the cafe table for the third time that day.

"Okay, first of all, stop you're going to bruise your forehead. Second of all, it's only dinner. I'll be there, Stefan will be there, we'll handle it if you get uncomfortable. Third of all, we have to go grocery shopping. We're out of like everything," Eva gets up and holds out her hand. I roll my eyes, smile a bit and grab her hand.

"Come on! I heard Walmart's having a sale!" Eva drags me out of the cafe, waving to the waitress on our way out.

With that, we went to Walmart.

-

"No, we are not getting 6 boxes of cookies" I put the cookies back on the shelf, ignoring Eva's protests.

"Oh, come on! They're on sale!" Ev dramatically caresses the cookie box. Leave it to her to be dramatic about cookies.

"Evaline. No." She makes a face at me and walks towards the cash register

I look down at our cart, which looks like a child has been shopping. Oops.

We make our way over to the produce, attempting to pick out something a little healthy.

I grab a bag and stuff a couple of apples inside. I mean, an apple a day keeps the... uh, person away.

I look over to Ev who is of course is scanning the produce in confusion. I laugh to myself and walk over to her. "What's wrong?" I smile.

"It all looks the same. Spinach, kale what's the difference? I know it's written, but if they look the same, how are we supposed to eat it?" Eva looks rapidly back and forth and the kale and spinach bunches.

"Lucky for you, we only need one-" I grab a spinach bunch waving it in Ev's face "-Spinach,"

Eva rolls her eyes as we start to wheel the cart over to the cash register, waiting for the people in front of us to finish.

Eva nudges me. "Hey, check out the cashier. He's cute. I'm going to pay." she winks at me. Surely, he was cute. A nearly 6-foot guy's standing there. From the angle we're standing at, we can only see his side profile. His jawline is prominent, his hair is dark brown, almost black, and his eyes are light brown from what I can make out. There you have it, your typical TV- drama heartthrob.

I chuckle to myself as I watch Eva talk to Mr.Mystery. I plop our things down onto the conveyer belt while watching Eva successfully flirting with her mystery man.

Wish I could relate.

"Anna!" I swear to Merlin, this guy just has some sort of tracker on me, doesn't he?

I sigh and turn to face Matthew. Of course. He slowly wheels his cart towards me, smiling at me. I groan internally. Why does this happen to me?

"What're you doing here?" he asks me.