My Wild - Part 7

When I woke it was still bright daylight and Adali was lying next to me. He looked round at my sudden movement, gave me a quick lick and then turned back to whatever he was looking at. I lifted my head and looked around. We were still at the lake but had moved into the trees surrounding it. Adali was sitting behind me facing the lake watching for danger while Adri sat in the far corner of the clearing grooming Ezra. Ezra was still soaked to the skin and was curled in a tight ball under a large oak tree. I then realised that I had never seen Ezra pull the female wolf out of the water. I looked around anxiously and was relieved to see her curled up with Naledi not far off. Reassured I lay my head back down and suddenly realised how cold I was. I was still soaked and I wondered how long it had been. I could now remember that after we got to shore we had walked over here and then had gone to sleep. Adali said that I had only been asleep about ten minutes. I rose to my feet and suddenly felt a sharp pain in my back foot. I turned to find a deep bite wound in my ankle, then I remembered how the female wolf had grabbed me while we were in the lake. I limped over to where she was sleeping and lay beside her. She blinked herself awake and looked up at me and gave me an appreciative lick on the nose. I exchanged the gesture and as I lay my head back on the snow she told me her story.

She told me that her name was Mazati and she once lived in my father's pack. When Nuka's pack had taken over she had fled with my mother to a nearby wood. She had been discovered and captured by humans who had taken care of her and treated her wounds. They had then released her into Nuka's pack where she had stayed for the past year. She had finally escaped and was now on the run, we also discovered that she was pregnant and that was why she was running. The puppies were not his. I welcomed her to join our growing pack and she accepted. We rested for the next few hours before we headed off to our den. It was just as we left it and she settled in nicely.