My Wild - Part 11

We all settled down to rest while Mazati watched the puppies play. Although we were all exhausted none of us could sleep. We all lay eyes wide open scanning for trouble, ears ficking back at every falling leaf or snapped twig. After about an hour I got up. There was no point in stopping to rest if none of us were actually resting. At my sudden movement everyone else lifted their heads and looked at me (except the puppies, they were too busy pouncing on leaves to notice). I started to trot of and barked at them to follow. They whined but followed obediently. This time I led on and the others carried the pups. After the incident with the roaring yellow monster I didn't trust that Callisto would be safe with me. I had frozen with him still hanging from my jaws and in doing so put my pack, myself and most of all Callisto in danger. I wasn't going to do that again. I trekked a few meters ahead occasionally sniffing the air for any sign that the beast was coming back. We traveled for about 2 hours until I turned around to see the rest of them sitting a couple meters behind. I barked at them to follow but they stayed sitting there. Ezra trotted over to me slowly. When he reached me he lay down at my feet and looked up at me. I sighed but obeyed and lay down next to him. 

The others happily trotted over to join us and we all fell asleep, even the puppies. When I woke up it was pitch black. We must have been sleeping for hours because it was already night time. I slipped myself carefully from under Ezra's head and looked around. Good, everyone was accounted for.I could still see the trees around us and there was no sign of the roaring monster so I calmly trotted back and slid myself back under Ezra's head. He sighed and snuggled his muzzle between my front legs. I gratefully lay my head on his and fell back asleep. The next time I woke it was light and a big wet tongue was grooming my nose. I looked up to see Ezra's kind face looking down on me. I gave him a lick on the nose and got up. He backed off respectfully and trotted off to wake Adali. I looked around me to check if everyone was accounted for. Satisfied, I trotted over to Ezra. I beckoned for him to follow and I went out in a search for something to eat. We soon came across a large rabbit hole. We both lay down in front of it and waited. When we returned we carried with us two plump rabbits. Everyone came over and the pups yelped in excitement and ran over. We finished every last morsel and then sat back satisfied with today's meal. 

Shortly after I started to feel a rumble under my feet and heard a terrible roar. I barked at the others to follow. They didn't need asking twice. They grabbed the pups and ran after me. The roar got louder and louder until we could see it. It was too fast. We headed straight for the forest for we knew that it was too big to fit between the trees. Once we reached the forest we didn't stop running. I kept glancing behind me to check if it was still coming. It hadn't reached the forest yet but it grounded to a sudden halt. I skidded to a stop and tried to figure out why it stopped until I saw him. Ezra had his fore leg stuck in thick tree roots. He was yelping and whining for help and the yellow monster had stopped right in front of him. I barked at the others to stay still and ran as fast as I could back to where Ezra was. I was too late. The big man had already gotten out of his monster and was heading for Ezra. He got out a fire-stick and pressed the trigger. The fire-stick made a loud bang, Ezra yelped and fell limp onto the forest floor. I yelped and ran faster. I reached him just in time and yanked him out of the way of the big man's reaching hands. I snarled and he backed off back into his big yellow monster. I dragged him along until I could go no longer and then I dropped him at my feet and lay next to him. I looked around to make sure that they had followed me. They had and luckily Ezra had dropped Nakita when he had got stuck. 

Nakita had hurried back to her mother and the 4 of them had managed to carry all five puppies. I got up and nuzzled Ezra to wake up. He didn't move but at least he was still breathing. I searched for a wound from the fire-stick but couldn't find any. Instead I went over to his back leg. It was the same one as his previous injury, he had cut himself trying to get out of the tree roots and was bleeding badly. I cleaned up the wound and then groomed the mud and dust from his fur. As I got up to his muzzle he gave a slight groan. I continued on his face and neck until his eyes gradually opened. I yelped in joy and gave him lots of kisses. He lifted his head and winced slightly. I lay down next to him and he fell back asleep on me. As he slept I noticed a small cylinder in his fur. I pulled at it and it came out and inspected it. It was oval in shape with a long pointy thing on the end.  it gave of a sweet drousy smell that made me feel sleepy. I didn't like it and buried it where the pups couldn't get it. I then wandered out alone to find food. A while after I left, I was walking in the woods when I heard the sound of splitting wood. After that there was the sound of a human voice shouting 'TIMBER!' Suddenly something hit me. I felt a searing pain in my head and everything went black.