My Wild - Part 13

The walk back was long and I kept getting lost, taking wrong turns or going round in circles. Eventually, I heard a howl. I used all of my remaining strength to howl in reply and then slumped down on the ground exhausted. When I woke up I was lying in a den. It was still night time, everything ached and I was still a little damp. The only difference was that I was warm. The warmth was thanks to a large black fluffy thing curled around me. I nuzzled it until it looked at me and gave me a lick on the face. Of course it was Ezra. He explained that he had woken up after I left and had been out looking for me, he had been the howl that I heard. He had heard my response and had tracked me down and taken me back where he had laid me down here. I was shivering so he had come and curled up with me. I thanked him and asked where the others were. Adali poked his head round the edge of the den entrance and barked his greetings before turning back to Diego, who he was grooming. Suddenly, I felt something riggle under my tail and out popped Callisto jumping up and down barking and licking me. I pulled him to me and started to groom him. He protested but eventually settled and let me. Ezra told me that when he had found me I was filthy and soaking. He had dragged me back home and cleaned me up before curling up with me. I had been asleep for two full days and they were beginning to think I would never wake up. Ezra then told me that Adri, Naledi and Mazati had gone hunting about an hour ago while I was sleeping.

At that I jumped up, totally forgetting, I yelped in pain and Ezra motioned for me to lie back down but I wouldn't. I limped outside to the surprise of Adali who got up and came over to me. I explained what had happened to me and that the others could be in danger. Ezra calmly led me back to the den and told me to lie down. Adali came and lay next to me, I protested but Ezra said that I needed rest and explained that Adali would stay with me and the pups while he went to look for the others. He turned around and ran off into the woods.

Ezra did not return for several hours. Adali started to get restless and eventually walked out of the den and started pacing. I whined and he turned back to me and came over to lick my muzzle. I exchanged his affection and stood up. Adali didn't protest, he just looked on into the woods. The sun was coming up as it had been 4 hours since Ezra left. Adali howled but there was no response. He tried again and this time I joined him. At last. There were 4 strong howls in response. They were near and by the sound of it unharmed. When they returned me and Adali checked them for injury. Finding none we all tucked into the wild deer they had caught. A few days later we were casually lying in the sun when we heard a familiar sound. The roar was bigger this time and was rapidly getting louder. We all jumped up and ran for the woods. All of us, except Callisto. He stopped dead still in front of the roaring monster and barked at it. He barked and growled and tried to bite the big monster. I barked at him to follow us but he wasn't listening. I ran for him but the big man was already there. He leaned over and picked Callisto up by the scruff of his neck and carried him biting and snarling back to his big monster. Now I was truly angry. If he wanted to take Callisto, he'd have to go through me. At that my teeth came out and I flew at him. I sank my teeth deep into his right calf. He yelped and fell down, dropping Callisto in a heap on the floor. I grabbed him and ran. 

I ran and ran, the rest of them close behind for a several hours straight. We stopped eventually in a clearing far from home. We all sat down gasping for breath, then we all flopped down and fell asleep instantly. I woke up with a start and quickly checked to see if Callisto was still with me. Yep, still snuggled under my front legs fast asleep. I checked for the others and everyone was accounted for so I lay back down. Although I was tired I didn't sleep. All I could think about was what I could do next. My mother, father and the rest of their pack had been lost due to the coming of Nuka's pack splitting my siblings and me up. The humans were invading our forest. My brother had almost lost his foot to one of their traps. We had been shot at, hit, battered and bruised and just yesterday we had almost lost Callisto. Me and my siblings had been reunited. We rescued Mazati and welcomed five new little faces into the world. We had it good now and I couldn't afford to lose that. Although this forest had sustained us it was no longer safe for us to stay here. I woke the others and we headed off in search of a new home. I took one last look at the forest which had been our home for almost 2 and a half years, turned around and as the rain started to fall, walked away.