My Wild - Part 10

In the evening Adali and Mazati went out hunting for deer when we heard a chorus of loud bangs. They were just like the ones from the fire-sticks that had made the ground explode around me when I went looking for food for Ezra when we were pups. That was almost a year and a half ago but it was still a vivid memory. I jumped up from my position grooming Callisto (which he was glad of, he hated being groomed) I howled for them and Naledi, Ezra, and Adri joined in. I listened for a reply but couldn't hear anything because the puppies had decided to join in with our howling. I barked at them to be quiet and howled again. I listened intently. I heard two strong replies. Good, they were both ok. Shortly after two panicked wolves burst through the ferns and stopped panting directly in front of me. Adri ran over to comfort Adali who lay down on the earth exhausted and Mazati hurried over to inspect her pups while I checked Adali for injury. I found none and sat back satisfied. Adali then slowly explained what had happened. He explained how he and Mazati had been tracking deer when people had come out of nowhere and had pointed their fire-sticks at them. There were some of Nuka's pack there too and they were running together. They saw other wolves fall only meters away and they longed to go back for them but they couldn't; they had to keep going. They had to keep running.

Adali was out of breath just from telling us what happened and he was shaking with fear. I led him over to the den and settled him inside. He curled up tightly but could not sleep. Eventually, I went and curled up next to him. He immediately relaxed and gave way to his exhaustion, slipping into a deep sleep. Mazati, after thoroughly inspecting every one of her pups, curled up with them under a large tree right next to the den. Ezra and Adri kept watch outside next to Mazati while I kept watch from inside the den. After a long while the comforting feeling of Adali's warm body overcame me and I dozed off. We were all woken suddenly by a deafening noise of splitting wood followed by a shout of 'Timber!' Next there was a terrible crash and the shouts of joy. They were human shouts, and they weren't very far away. This part of the forest wasn't safe any more. We had to move. 

I got up and beckoned for the others to follow. They looked confused but followed obediently. We walked for at least an hour before Mazati barked for me to stop. She was lagging behind trying to get the pups to keep moving. They lay about her whing, I trotted back to her. I knew they were tired but had to keep going. Adri picked up one of the pups and we all copied him. Then we set off, me carrying Callisto, Ezra with Nakita, Naleli with Aja, Adri with Diego and Mazati with Juno. Adali led in front looking out for any sign of danger. We traveled like this for the next 4 days. Stopping each night for rest and then setting off in the morning. 

One morning, we had just woken up from a long sleep when I felt the ground begin to rumble under my paws and there was a deafening roar that was coming closer and closer. I looked up to see if it was just me but we were all feeling it. Suddenly beams of light shot through the trees. I thought that they were rays of sun but as it got closer I realized that the beams of light were coming from a large yellow box. The beams turned off and the box turned and started to come towards me. The box was moving on oval black things that ripped up tufts of grass in its battle to stay upright. There was a large black arm coming out of the great beast and it had a big scoop on the front. I could smell that the big scoop was made of the same material that the teeth were made of that grabbed Ezra and it made a terrible roar. I couldn't move, I could only stand there as it screeched to a halt in front of me. I looked around for the others. They were hiding nearby behind a row of trees barking at me to follow. I tried but my paws were rooted to the spot. It was all I could do, I just stood there. Suddenly, one of the walls of the big yellow monster opened and out stepped out of my worst nightmare. Quite a large version of my worst nightmare actually. He was wearing a covering over his top half that was as green as the moss that we lay on back home and his legs were covered in something the same brown as the forest floor. For a split second I wondered if he might be trying to disguise himself as a tree, but that didn't really matter now. At the sight of him my legs finally obeyed me and I shot for the cover of the trees. The big man just chuckled and climbed back into the big yellow monster. There was a sputter and then a loud roar that had us all running for the woods. Eventually we all stopped for breath and looked around, we were all accounted for, and as for the big roaring monster. We could no longer hear it and it no longer shook the floor. It was gone.