Prologue

As a college student, death isn't something you think of every day. At least, for most people. I was too busy drowning myself in my studies that I barely went to any parties. Of course, the one time I do go to a party is the day I died.

I wasn't much of a drinker. Alcohol wasn't my favorite and I rarely drank. My 'friends' invited me to a party and insisted I attended. Peer pressure makes you do stupid things. The moment we entered the party, they left me.

After staying two hours, I decided to leave. I wasn't much of a party person and my social meter was getting low. It was way too noisy and hectic for my taste. They told me that I needed to have fun and shoved a drink into my hands. Rule number one: Don't accept random drinks.

I found myself becoming tired. So tired that one of my 'friend' offered to drive me home. I only knew him from two classes and thought we were friends. He drove us to an abandoned parking lot and forced himself on me. I was too drugged to fight back. My slurred protests went ignored as he took advantage of me.

Apparently, I died from an overdose of mixed drugs. My 'friend' claimed that we had consensual sex before the party and he dropped me off at my apartment after the party. It was just another college student who took too many drugs. But I wasn't. And no one said otherwise.

I wasn't sure when I died. It might've been that same night or the next day. Either way, my body wasn't discovered until my roommate came back from vacation. He had been my best friend since middle school and was visiting his family for the weekend.

"Ellie! I'm back! I brought some cookies my mom made," Max called from the front door. When he received no response, he shrugged his shoulders and set his belongings down before knocking on my door.

"El? You awake yet?" He continued to knock on the door but still, no response. I watched as he slowly opened the door. It looked like I was sleeping. He shook me a couple of times in an attempt to wake me up. It wasn't until he noticed how cold my skin was that he realized I was dead.

I watched him shake my body harshly with tears, hoping this was all a prank. But it wasn't. I was dead. I watched as he frantically called 911 with broken words and snot running down his face.

When questioned, my 'friends' denied their involvement in my death. Jessica, the girl who knew Derek had drugged the alcohol. Derek, the man who drugged me and took advantage of my drugged state. Kirk and Allison, who watched the entire ordeal. They denied Max's allegation.

Derek claimed that I had sex with him before the party and asked him for a ride home. His friends corraborated with the story. But Max knew it was a lie. I would never have slept with a random person. We were like two peas in a pod. He knew everything that went on in my life and I knew everything that went on in his life.

The police chalked it up to be an accidental death, despite Max's protest. To them, it was just another college kid who took too many drugs. Max knew that the only drug I touched were the perscripted medication prescribed by my doctor and weed.

The funeral was small. I only had a few friends since I wasn't very social. My family attended. So did Max. He even wrote me a eulogy.

"Ellie was my best friend. We met in middle school during P.E. Every year, we had a class together. I would always help her with science since she was terrible at it. A lot of people thought we were dating but we weren't.

Ellie was the first person I talked to. Whether it was a simple math problem or finding a date. She was always there for me whenever I was feeling down. I don't think I'll ever meet someone like her again.

I loved Ellie. She was my platonic soulmate. We did everything together. I remember us going ice skating and I was afraid to let go of the wall. Everyone else made fun of me, but not her. Instead, she just grabbed my hand and told me to let go. I hope that where ever she is, she's happy. Even if I'm not there with her."

It was very dark. I couldn't see anything nor could I move much. The only thing I could hear were the sounds of muffled voices outside of my confinements. Time passed by, I wasn't sure how long.

After what seemed to be an eternity, I saw the light. A loud cry erupted from me as a pair of hands swaddled me in a heap of blankets. Well shit. Looks like I was just born...again. Oh well. Maybe I'd have a better life here.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" A man's voice asks. I felt myself being transferred into another pair of arms. This time, it was a woman. Despite my eyes being closed, I knew that it was a woman based on the way she held me.

"We're too young. Isobel isn't ready for this," another man says.

"Alright. Miranda and I will take her. I already took care of the documents."

Cue the record scratch. Miranda? Isobel? Elena? Did I ever mention that I was never a believer in my previous life? Well, I wasn't. But right now, I was praying that I was wrong. I can't be in the TVD universe. It was impossible...right?

Mission CompleteOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara