Chapter Two

Age Four:

Jeremy was about two years old. Grayson wanted Jeremy to follow in his footsteps with the whole 'vampires are evil' spiel. Bro, he was two years old. Calm your titties my dude.

Jenna was babysitting us for the night. Our parents were out for a date night. She was only a high-schooler and she was a better parent than those two.

For one, she didn't play favorites like Miranda does. Also, she knew that I was pretty smart for my age and wasn't trying to baby me.

"Auntie Jenna?" I call out when I smelled something burning from the kitchen. I forgot she was a terrible cook.

"Yes Ellie?" Reason number three, she actually called me by my preferred name rather than 'Elena'.

"It stinks in here. I can make dinner while you do homework."

"You can't even reach the stove."

"Then I can teach you how to cook real food." Jenna lets out a fake gasp with her hand over her chest as if I just offended her.

"I know how to make food!" I just stare at her with a certain look.

"Uh huh."

"Cheeky little girl."

In the end, I did help her with cooking. It was kind of hectic since she was very bad at cooking.

"No Jenna, you dice the onions and add garlic."

"Really? But the recipe doesn't say that."

"I like adding garlic because it adds more flavor. You need to chop the onions a little smaller."

"This is embarassing. Having a four year old teaching me how to cook," Jenna mutters under her breath.

"There's nothing embarassing about it. Most kids don't know how to even do laundry."

"But you're a kid too!"

"Sure Jenna."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I shrug my shoulders.

Jenna and I were both college students. Most of the time, college students ate basic food like a cup of ramen or easy to make meal.

"Put the meatballs in for fifteen minutes then take it out. You'll want to flip them over so it cooks evenly and it'll be nice and crispy."

"Alright, now what?"

"We cook the noodles." Jenna moves her hand to dump the noodles into the pot of water but I stop her.

"No auntie! You have to wait until the water is bubbling. Then you put it in."

"Right, I knew that. I was just testing you."

"If you want, I can teach you how to cook whenever you visit."

"Isn't that supposed to be my job?"

"Technically yes. But I'd rather not eat burnt spaghetti for dinner." I squeal when she playfully chases me.

"Why, you little brat! Humph!"

Jeremy crawled into the kitchen with a lost expression on his face. Have I mentioned how adorable he was? He loved to follow me around.

"Hi Jere-bear!"

"Ellie!" I smile and help him up. He was still learning how to walk.

"Dinner's almost ready. Your coloring book is on the table."

"Yay!"

Even as a child, Jeremy was an artist. Not a very good one but still; he was only a child. Grayson didn't like the idea of his son being interested in a 'girly' activity but didn't do anything about it.

Age Five:

Miranda and Grayson took me to the doctor's. I wasn't sick or anything. They wanted me to do an I.Q. test since I was smart for my age.

Grayson insisted that I would be put into school with older kids. Miranda refused. She claimed that I needed to be with kids my age in order to grow up normally.

I was sitting with Caroline and Bonnie, who were playing with barbie dolls. We were in first grade together. All of the sudden, my head began to hurt.

"Ellie? What's wrong?" Caroline asks when she notices me clutching my head in pain.

"It hurt!"

The next part was kind of a blur for me. I wasn't sure if I actually passed out but the next thing I know, my head was laying in Caroline's lap with her on the verge of tears.

Mission: Start martial arts
Deadline: Two years
Reward: Super-strength

When I got home, I asked 'my parents' to let me start martial arts. To my horror, Miranda flat out refused, claiming martial arts are for boys'. Bitch. What?

Thankfully, Grayson was estatic and signed me up without hesitation. His reasons were because 'a girl should know how to defend herself'. He didn't even mention the fact that there were supernatural creatures out there.

Bonnie and Caroline followed in my footsteps and joined martial arts with me. I didn't even have to ask them. They kind of just followed me. I was debating whether I should talk to Bonnie about her magic. I knew that Grams locked away her magic but that didn't mean I couldn't teach her about the supernatural.

I knew I would tell them about the supernatural community before junior year. Maybe I could convince Grams to release the spell. Then again, she was a drunkard.

Jeremy was super interested in it already. Every night, he would ask me to tell him a story.

"Ellie?" Jeremy calls out sleepily.

"Hm? Oh, is it bed time again?"

"Mhmm. Can you tell me that story again?"

His favorite story was the Mikaelson story. He was fascinated by the creation of vampires. Normal kids would have been terrified by the 'monsters' but he was different.

Grayson insisted that I stopped reading to him because I was 'sympathizing the monsters'. Fuck you Grayson. It didn't matter. Jeremy was obsessed with it.

"Ellie?" Jeremy slurs as I tuck him in. I already turned the lights off and was about to leave.

"Yeah?"

"Why does daddy think they're bad?"

"Because he was raised to think a certain way."

"Why don't you think they're bad?"

"Evil and bad is all based on a person's perspective. We cannot judge an entire group for one person's mistake."