Chapter Ten

Sophmore Year:

Not much happened between the years. Vicki spent less time with us since she ended up moving on campus of Whitmore College. Caroline and Bonnie practically forced me to join cheerleading. Tyler and Jeremy join art.

Tyler went into football but was less tempermental than in the show. I think it's because he grew up with us and had us to rely on whenever he became upset. Jeremy was his best friend more than Matt.

"You ready for the bonfire?" Caroline asks. I shudder. Not because today is the day where Miranda and Grayson dies, but because of the party. Even though I have more powers to protect myself, the thought of going to a party scares me.

"Do I have to go?" I whine. Bonnie pats my head and tugs me along behind her. I felt nauseous.

When we arrive at the bonfire, my hand tightens around Bonnie's. I am so not going to be alone for this shit.

"Come on, loosen up! Have some fun. I'll get you a drink," Caroline says before I can stop her.

"I'm going to talk to Briella, I'll be right back," Bonnie announces. Before I know it, I am left alone in the crowd. There were already students who were drunkingly dancing and groping each other. I let out a relieved sigh when Caroline returns with two drinks in her hand.

"Drink up!"

"Who did you get this from?"

"I heard that Jason and Peter brought the drinks. Don't worry, I was the only one who filled your drinks."

Trusting Caroline, I down the drink. My alcohol tolerance wasn't low, but it wasn't high either. After two cups of beer, I find myself drunk. Stumbling over my feet, I make my way towards the forest to escape the loudness of the party.

It was too loud. Too noisy and crowded. My head is spinning and pounding. I can't think. I need to escape. I need Max. Where is Max?

My breathing becomes uneven as I gasp for air. Something wasn't right. My anxiety was spiking and I was having a anxiety attack. Tears stream down my face as I collapse onto the dirt, trying not to hyperventilate.

A muffled voice that sounded far away could be heard but I couldn't do anything. It felt like the trees were surrounding me, as if something was coiling around my body like a boa constrictor and tightening with each breath.

It gets to the point where I feel like I am about to pass out. But I don't. My body jerks violently when a cold hand touches me. Memories start flashing through my mind. Memories of my death. Memories of the unwanted touches.

A paper bag is pressed against my nose and mouth. It takes a while but my breathing slows down as the panic attack dies down.

"You're doing great. In, and out. In, and out," a fuzzied male voice speaks. Once my breathing becomes even, he begins to speak again.

"Can you tell me five things you can see?"

"Ocean eyes. Trees. Leaves. Jacket. Hands," I manage to choke out.

"Good, four things you can touch?" One of my hand is gripping tightly onto his jacket while the other is fumbling the surface beneath me.

"Leather. Webs. Ground. Ants."

"Good, good. You're doing good. Three things you can hear."

"Your voice. The music. The crickets."

"Nice, two things you can smell?"

"Cologne and dirt."

"Good, and one thing you can taste?"

"Bitter." At this point, I am able to function somewhat properly. I release my hold on his arm and sit up properly, brushing the leaves out of my hair and clearing my throat.

"Scared me there for a moment," a sarcastic voice says. Damon Salvatore. How could I forget that he would be here?

"Sorry about that. I don't usually go to parties. What brings you here, ocean-eyes?" He raises his eyebrow at the nickname in amusement but answers nonetheless.

"Just passing by."

"Well ocean-eyes, that's the worst excuse I've ever heard. I don't think people go walking through the woods this late at night."

"Really? Maybe I'm here to kill you then."

"Bro if you kill me, I'll die happy knowing that a hottie like you killed me," I say, laughing as I stand up.

"A hottie, you say?" I am about to answer when my phone begins to ring.

"One moment." I text Grayson and Miranda that I'd be sleeping over with a friend. Then I texted Max to come pick me up. Maybe if I didn't ask for a ride, Miranda and Grayson wouldn't be on the bridge.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but Mystic Falls is a bit short on cute guys."

"I see that there's no shortage on cute girls like you."

"Aw shucks, you really do know how to make a girl feel special don't ya." He takes a step towards me and I take a step back. We continue this until my back hits the tree and I am trapped in between.

"You will forget that you met me. All you will remember is that you left the party with your friends."

"I left the party with my friends." Compulsion doesn't work on me but he doesn't know that. Without uttering another word, he zooms off into the night. What a drama queen.

That night, Max drove me home. When I woke up the next day, a cold feeling washed through me. I didn't understand what it was until Sheriff Forbes knocked on the door.

Miranda and Grayson were dead. Apparently, they'd gotten so worried and decided to drive to the party to pick me up. Why though? I texted them to not come.

The message never arrived on their phones. It said it was sent on mine but theirs came up empty.

Jenna was already at the house consoling Jeremy. Even though I didn't like Miranda and Grayson, I couldn't help but feel as if it was my fault.

Despite my attempts to save them, they still died. Maybe I should've called them instead of messaging. Maybe I should've told them before I left that I didn't need a ride home.

I could tell Jeremy blamed me a little bit for going out that night. Regardless, I stayed with him, making sure that he wasn't alone.

I didn't try to force him like O.G. Elena but I would remind him that I was there for him. He didn't talk to me for a month.

When he did, he crawled into my bed and sobbed as I wrapped my arms around him. I didn't say anything and hugged him until he passed out.

The first time I caught him with drugs, I immediately threw them away and sat him down. I'm okay with him using weed, but nothing else.

"Jeremy Gilbert, I will not watch you destroy yourself by using drugs to cope. If I ever catch you with anything but weed, I will have Sheriff Liz hold you in a detaining cell for a week."

"I just want to get away! You barely even acknowledge the fact that our parents are dead! You just pretend like nothing happened-"

"I'm not pretending that nothing happened, I'm just not going to let it consume me. We all have different coping methods but using drugs and alcohol will not solve anything.

Jer, you know that I love you and want the best for you. You've always been my number one brother and it hurts me to see you in pain, but I can't watch you destroy yourself.

The only thing I will allow you to use is some weed, as long as you abide by a couple rules. One, do not smoke before or during school. Two, you are not allowed to use any other means to get high or drunk."

After the conversation, I showed him my supply and secret stash. Sometimes we'd just chill in my room and smoke and talk about what's on our mind. Even Jenna sometimes joined in.