Chapted Twelve

As soon as we walked into the Grill, Matt walked up to Stefan with jealousy in his eyes.

"Hey, I'm Matt, nice to meet you."

"Hi. Stefan." There was tension between them so I cleared my throat.

"And I am the fantabulous Ellie."

"Yes you are," Matt says to himself.

"Stefan, why don't you head over to the table with the very loud blonde over there and I'll meet you there."

"Bitch I heard that!" Caroline yelled from across the restaurant. I blew her a kiss and subtly pushed Stefan towards her so I could talk to Matt privately. Er, at least without Stefan hoovering over me.

"I didn't see you much today," Matt says awkwardly. Oh boy, here we go. I was never the best at confrontations.

"Listen Matty-blue, I like you, but only as a friend. I have no interest in dating right now." He looked crushed and turned his eyes towards Stefan.

"What about him?"

"First of all, who I talk to is none of your business. Secondly, I just met the dude. I'm trying to be nice here. I do not and will not harbor any romantic feelings towards you so please stop asking me. I am okay with being friends but you do not get to control who I interact with or question my actions."

I hoped my words actually went through his head instead of out the other ear. Regardless, he nodded and walked away. I sat myself between Max and Stefan.

"You guuci?" Max asks.

"Yeah, just really hate doing these things."

"Well, you did better than last time," Tyler says in an attempt to cheer me up.

"Are you talking about the time where she shoved the flowers that Quinn gave her and then sprinted home?" Bonnie asks.

"No, don't you remember last time when Matt tried to ask her out? She straight up started screeching and climbed to the top of the tree," Caroline chuckles.

"I don't know why I hang out with any of you. Y'all are so mean to me," I say, faking a sob.

"El, I literally remember you threatened to set someone's house on fire because they stole your chips," Max says, patting my back.

"But like...they were my chips. Anyways, let's introduce ourselves to the newbie. Hi everyone, I'm Ellie Gilbert."

"Max...Shit what's my last name?" I face palmed at Max's stupidity.

"Are you sure you're not secretly a blonde?"

"Hey!" Max and Caroline yelled in offense.

"I'm Tyler Lockwood."

"Bonnie Bennett."

"Caroline Forbes. So, were you born in Mystic Falls?" And thus began Caroline's interview.

"Are you going?" Stefan asks, staring at me. I snapped out of my daze.

"Huh?"

"Of course she is," Bonnie answers in my stead.

The next day, Bonnie and Caroline rode with me since they stayed the night.

"The Battle of Willow Creek took place right at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls. How many casualties resulted in this battle? Ms. Bennett?" Tanner asked.

"Um...a lot? I'm not sure. Like a whole lot."

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Ms. Bennett. Mr. Donovan? Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your embedded jock stereotype?"

"It's ok, Mr. Tanner. I'm cool with it."

"Hm. Elena? Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most significantly historical events?"

"364 casualties unless you count the local civilians. Also, my name is Ellie. Should I have a name tag on the desk so you don't forget?"

"I was willing to be lenient last year for obvious reasons, Elena. But the personal excuses ended with summer break."

The class leaned forward as I stood up abruptly. Shit was about to go down.

"Oh William, do you think I give a damn about what you think? Maybe if you pulled your head out of your ass for once, you'd remember things properly. After all, who could forget last year's prank?"

A subtle shiver overcame throughout Tanner's body as he tried to stand firm. But it was hopeless. Everyone could see the strained expression on his face and the sweat on his forehead.

"364 casualties is correct. However, there were no civilian casualties in this battle." I plopped down on my seat and smirk at his feeble attempt to regain his pride.

"Actually, there were 27, sir. Confederate soldiers, they fired on the church, believing it to be housing weapons. They were wrong. It was a night of great loss. The founder's archives are, uh, stored in civil hall if you'd like to brush up on your facts, Mr. Tanner."

"Hmm." I stretched my hand out for a high five without turning around.

"Atta boy, you'll fit in just perfectly."

The rest of the classes went smoothly. Tanner was glaring daggers at me whenever I passed by his office. Just a normal day.

Much to my reluctance, Bonnie and Caroline demanded that I attended the back-to-school party. They even promised to stay by my side the entire time and I wouldn't having to drink anything.

So here I was, standing awkwardly at the party with Bonnie's arm looped around mine. Max invited himself and was on standby in case things got out of control for me. My daze is broken when Bonnie lets out a huge gasp and releases my arm.

"I saw a crow. There was a fog, a man."

"Yeah, don't worry about it. It's just Stefan's brother."

"Creepy."

"Agreed. When you touch Stefan, you'll get a deathy feeling since he's Edward Cullens."

"Thanks for the heads up. In fact, I think I see him over there. I'm going to get a refill."

"Hi," Stefan greets.

"What's with the sneak up from behind?"

"I did it again, didn't I?"

"Yup. Anways, what did you want to talk about?" We talk for another ten, fifteen minutes before we hear someone screaming bloody murder.

Thankfully, it's not Vicki who's the victim. Unfortunately, there was still a victim. I'm pretty sure it was some girl names Gina? Tina? And her boyfriend Gerald who was carrying her.

"Somebody call the ambulance!" Someone screamed. By then, Stefan disappeared.

Later that night, I gathered everyone at my house. Jenna joined as well. Max revealed himself as a heretic, which we had to explain.

Since the others knew about vampires, I gave them a list of people who were potentially or were vampires and warned them to take caution when inviting people into their homes.

Jenna was a bit skeptical and didn't believe us until Max vamped out in front of her. I even produced a flame within my hands to convince her.

I also told Tyler about his werewolf genes and how the curse would be triggered. As expected, he panicked at the thought of going through excruciating pain every full moon but I consoled him. We would all be there for him. Except Max since he's part vampire.

I warned Jeremy to avoid killing vampires since I wasn't sure if the Hunter's mark would appear. I don't need him going pyscho on me.