4. Unbearable loneliness

Sotiris opened his eyes and looked at the clock on the wall. It was past twelve. He decided to keep cocooning in his bed for a bit longer. He pulled the blanket and covered his head. He didn't like waking up alone, because he was used to waking up with a female presence by his side. Sadly, the previous night had turned out to be a complete disaster; as a result, the young woman with whom he was meant to spend the night left screaming at him. This was because he just couldn't remember her name correctly. "Women are hysterical... Why the hell did she have to lash out at me? After all, it was just for fun," he thought.

Sotiris had been working in a nightclub, which gave him the opportunity to meet thousands of women every month. His masculinity charmed many clients, most of whom preferred this specific club just to look into his beautiful eyes. Sotiris had assumed that his boss would get angry if he found out about his dissolute life because he was looking after him as if he were his son. On the contrary, though, he eventually praised him for his contribution to the public relations of the club. "Sleeping with clients is undoubtedly lucrative. You are big business, boy!" he had told him. This meant he would not get unemployed soon, to say the least.

Nevertheless, there was something else that had been torturing him. He couldn't stand being on his own. He may have been frantically trying to discard his loneliness with exquisite females, still always temporarily. All these women were non-worthy of a permanent relationship. They were attracted to him by his appearance and expensive clothes, yet none of them was interested in getting to know him any better or exploring his soul. They were all superficial and only wanted to find contentment in hitting on such a handsome guy. What they didn't know was that, in reality, he was also a highly sensitive person who longed for nothing more and nothing less than to love and be loved. He couldn't help feeling so empty inside. He had to find a proper woman. He might not have been looking in the right places. Although he could meet countless chicks in the nightclub for sure, he had come to the conclusion that women of this kind derived happiness only from wealth and pleasure and were hence unable to provide a quality relationship to a man.

"How can I meet a good girl?" he asked himself.

"There are virtuous women everywhere around you, but you don't notice them," replied his inner voice. "You have to look at people with the eyes of the soul, without judging them by their looks." This voice whispered to him so often that he ended up immersed in an endless and agonising depressing dialogue with... himself!