5. Fated encounter

The four hours of baby-sitting passed torturously slowly. By the time Eftyhia returned, Mary had been exhausted. Angelica was very naughty, like every time her mother left, having got the chance to do everything she wasn't allowed to. As a result, Mary had been chasing her all around the house for hours in a vain attempt to control her. What is more, she really had tried to tidy the little girl's mess. No later than the moment Mary abandoned the effort to gather a big number of pillows, which were dispersedly dropped on the floor, Eftyhia showed up. The woman began to yell as soon as she realised her daughter's roguery. Then she apologised to Mary for Angelica's unacceptable behaviour and thanked her warmly for trying to put the house in order. To Mary's great satisfaction, Eftyhia paid her extra money. As she closed the door behind her, she could hear Eftyhia's threats towards her only child: "You've got yourself into trouble, you little monster!"

As Mary was strolling up Aristotle Square heading for the nearest bus stop, a man stumbled on her.

"Watch out!" she shouted.

The man gave a glance back at her and furiously went on running without even apologising. Before he turned around, Mary momentarily met his hot gaze, which turned her on subconsciously.

All the way back home, Mary's mind wouldn't think of anything else except the unknown guy who had fallen upon her. Under no circumstance could she forget his honey-coloured eyes, which were beautiful like amber. It was vital that she see this stranger again, even if she had to go and wait at the spot where she saw him on a daily basis – at least until she would get bored.

Her wild fantasy was interrupted by her mobile phone, which she felt wobbling in her pocket. Mary was surprised since she didn't expect a phone call from anyone at noontime. "Let it not be Eftyhia again", she implored God. She glanced at the screen reluctantly. The person calling was her mother.

"Hello?"

"How are you doing, my girl? Long time, no hear..." Melpo's voice echoed.

"I'm fine, Mum. What about you?"

"As you know. My legs still hurt..."

"I'm looking forward to the day you'll stop grouching!"

"I guess that's your way of telling me you've got tired of me. But I'm getting older, Mary, and my kids are away."

"Calm down, Mum. You're only fifty and you've got your husband by your side. Besides, I'm going to visit you soon."

"It's been a long time since you last visited us. As if you worked so hard that you don't have any free time!" complained her mother. "Oh, God... You know what? Come by whenever you want, Mary. I will still be here. I just hope not to have forgotten your face until I see you again."

"Oh, you're always exaggerating..."

"I speak the truth!" said her mother abruptly. "I really miss the old days, you know, when we used to stay all together," confessed Melpo.

Her daughter's mind gotoverwhelmed with memories. It was just two years ago when she stilllived with her parents. This thought was paradoxically accompanied by a senseof nostalgia. She missed those days too, even though she would not admit it.