9. Christmas delights

Mary was on the verge of a new relationship although she couldn't even understand what exactly was going on. The only thing for sure was that her acquaintance with Sotiris triggered a lively flirtation. But we'll see more about that later.

As for her Christmas, she spent it with her family. Mary alongside her older sister Yianna visited their parents like every year. The Christmas family table was customary for Costas Nikolopoulos (Mary's father), which meant that no one was allowed to be absent and for no reason. "Even if you live abroad, you will be coming back for Christmas!" Mr Costas would say. Naturally, Mary was fed up with this compulsory annual gathering, but she couldn't do otherwise. She was financially reliant on her father, so she had to show him that she respected and valued ​​him. As for her sister, she was single; therefore, she had no one else with whom to spend Christmas. The pleasant surprise of the day was that their mother Melpo had made her daughters' favourite desserts so as to delight them.

"God bless you, Mum," said Mary admiringly. "Once again you got us licking our fin­gers!"

These spontaneous honest words made Melpo truly happy.