01. GON & THE WHALE ISLAND

(Four years ago...)

        A hush fell over the room as a mysterious black-haired woman glided into the abandoned building, drawing all eyes upon her. Adorned with a white Kitsune mask with delicate black and red accents, she concealed her identity with precision. Her attire, a black furisode kimono, exuded elegance, complemented by a perfectly arranged bun atop her head. A crimson flower adorning her hair echoed the hues of her kimono, while her hands rested regally before her stomach. Despite the cold, murderous gazes of the other members of the notorious criminal group—The Phantom Troupe—she moved with undeniable grace, unfazed by the intensity of their scrutiny.

The auras emitted by the individuals carried a deadly aura, instilling fear in anyone unfortunate enough to find themselves in their presence. As the masked female advanced, there was no sound of heels clicking against the cold floor; it was as if her body was made of air, enveloped in an unfamiliar aura that sent shivers down the spines of those around her. Coming to a halt, she turned to face the leader of the Troupe, who sat in the corner of the room engrossed in his book, though he was well aware of her arrival seven minutes earlier than anticipated.

Chrollo Lucilfer, with his pale complexion, sleek black hair, and piercing grey eyes, bore the distinctive marks of a cross-shaped tattoo on his forehead and earlobe earrings.

As he addressed the masked female, his voice cut through the silence that pervaded the room. "I'm glad you came..."

Silence enveloped the space, all eyes fixed unwaveringly on the mysterious figure before them. Each member of the Troupe consumed by their own barrage of questions. None among them knew the purpose of her presence in their midst, except for their enigmatic leader, whose smile remained fixed upon his pale face. Rising from his seat, Chrollo extended his right arm towards the masked woman, eliciting gasps from his comrades as she chose to ignore the gesture.

"Who does she think she is?" questioned the female with pink-tinted hair, her tone as stern as ever.

Observing the exchange, the leader of the Spiders silently commanded his subordinates to vacate the area, leaving only the two of them alone. When the surroundings cleared, the masked female lifted her disguise, revealing a pair of dull eyes that met the sparkling grey eyes of her counterpart. "What do you want?" Her voice, cold as ice, cut through the air.

If the man were an ordinary person, he would have fainted or flee in terror at the sight of her. However, the pale man found satisfaction in hearing her voice, knowing that only a select few were privy to her true identity, and even fewer had lived to tell the tale.

His friend Shalnark's advice rang true. The female had always been elusive, avoiding phone calls and keeping her personal contact information strictly private. If one wished to reach her, they had to resort to finding her in person or sending a letter—a method for which he had paid handsomely to facilitate this meeting.

Chrollo had been eager to reunite with her ever since their initial encounter in Meteor City, during a time when she had taken temporary refuge in the area. He had heard countless rumours about this enigmatic figure, known by many as the Akagitsune."I want... you... to join—" Chrollo began, but before he could complete his sentence, the female turned her back on him, effectively cutting him off and forcing him to confront her retreating figure.

"I decline your offer." Her words were final, spoken with unwavering resolve as she walked away, leaving Chrollo to ponder her rejection in silence. In the blink of an eye, the masked female vanished, leaving behind no trace of her scent or presence. The man stood alone inside the abandoned building, a grin spreading across his face as he pondered the encounter.