10. WHO ARE YOU?

As the silence lingered in the cave between you and Kurapika, his head hung low in embarrassment, you couldn't help but feel the weight of the awkwardness. Despite never experiencing such discomfort before, you recognized the tension in the air. It was clear that Kurapika harbored resentment towards you ever since the incident with the kirikos, where you almost killed a girl. His suspicious gaze followed your every move and word, intensifying the unease between you.

The absurd thought crossed your mind: "Kurapika likes me? That's ridiculous! He hates me." However, before you could dwell on it further, Gon's consciousness broke the tense atmosphere. Relieved, you addressed Gon, asking how he was feeling. His wide smile and thumbs up reassured you, prompting you to playfully pat his head while reminding him not to do anything reckless again.

As the boy faced Ponzu, his determination evident in his grin, he inquired about her sleeping gas. Ponzu, with her mint-colored hair, turned to him with a questioning look as he displayed Bourbon's badge, surprising her.

Gon proposed a trade, offering the badge in exchange for the sleeping gas. Ponzu hesitated, recognizing Bourbon's badge, but acknowledged that it would grant her six points. However, she pressed for an explanation regarding Gon's intentions with the sleeping gas. Before Gon could respond, you scowled at Ponzu, earning a glare in your direction.

The tension between you and Ponzu became palpable, making the atmosphere uncomfortable for the witnesses, including the two present.

"Why bother asking when you could benefit from it?" you rhetorically muttered, not even bothering to glance in her direction.

"I'll use it to put all the snakes to sleep so we can escape," Gon responded to her question.

"It would be more effective to use it inside the cave rather than outside. I tried earlier, but it didn't work out too well. Within five minutes, the entire cave will fill with gas, and the snakes will be asleep. But that's five minutes; no one could hold their breath for that long!" Ponzu explained, prompting an eye roll from you. "Putting the snakes to sleep will be useless if we put ourselves to sleep in the process."

"Well, Y/n-san and I could hold our breath for more than five minutes," Gon asserted.

"What?!" Ponzu exclaimed in disbelief.

"Are you deaf?" you retorted sarcastically.

Gon rose from the ground, preparing himself. His shoulders tensed, and he grinned warmly.

"Nine minutes and forty-four seconds, that's my breath-holding record," he proudly stated. "Although, Y/n-san has the highest record. Thirteen minutes and twenty-six seconds, right, Y/n-san?" Ponzu and Kurapika looked at you, their eyes filled with disbelief. "We'll hold our breath and carry you all out of this cave."

Everything went according to Gon's plan, except that he wanted you to carry the mint-haired girl, but you resisted. Instead, you ended up carrying Kurapika out of the cave, while Gon insisted on carrying Leorio and Ponzu. Despite his young age, Gon managed to carry three people at once, which was undeniably impressive. Initially, you thought Kurapika would be lightweight, but it turned out he wasn't. As soon as you emerged from the cave, you gently placed the Kurta survivor on the ground, mirroring Gon's action with the two people he was carrying. Your lungs gradually compressed, and you released a deep breath.

"Finally!" you exclaimed, inhaling the fresh air.

The sky was a deep ebony, casting heavy shadows over the land.

"Here, I'll leave Bourbon's tag with you, so the examiners will find you. But I'll take your tag, so Leorio will complete his six points and pass," Gon explained to the sleeping girl.