02. LEORIO AND KURAPIKA

"I'm going to become the best Hunter in the world! Once I'm the best hunter in the world, I'll come back!" Gon's cheerful proclamation rang out as he waved fervently towards Whale Island. You couldn't help but hum in response to Gon's excitement, leaning against the railings of the ship and watching as the island gradually shrank in your view.

A peculiar observation struck you—there were no other females on board, a fact that piqued your curiosity. Wrapping a maroon scarf around your neck and up to your nose, you found solace in the comforting darkness of its hue. Your attire, a white, short-sleeved uwagi snugly fitted to your form and secured with a red obi sash adorned with gold patterns. Paired with black hakama pants, your ensemble spoke of both refinement and practicality, an okay blend for the adventures that lay ahead.

"The best hunter in the world? This kid doesn't respect us."

Mocking voices of the old men echoed across the ship, their derision aimed squarely at Gon. You felt a surge of indignation rise within you. One of them, bearing a massive scar on his face, sneered openly at the young boy, while the others joined in, their laughter ringing hollow in your ears.

"Every year, there are millions of skilled applicants for the Hunter Exam. But only a handful are selected. Don't say stuff that you can't back up, boy," chimed in another man, his words dripping with scepticism.

Raising an eyebrow, you shot them silent, deadly glares, though they went unnoticed by the oblivious men. They appeared nothing more than blustering braggarts, their inflated bravado belying any true strength or skill, though you felt an urge to wipe the smirk off their faces. Should you kill them?

Gon remained unperturbed by their taunts, his gaze steady as he strode past them. Hands firmly grasping the straps of his backpack, his determination unshaken by their words.

Hours later, a storm raged outside. The relentless pounding of waves against the ship filled the air with a deafening roar, unsettling and discomforting. Trapped in the confines of the room with a group of strangers, all men, the tumultuous rocking of the vessel left many of them reeling with nausea or knocked unconscious from the violent motions. However, you remained calm and composed, unfazed by the chaos surrounding you. With your eyes shut, you began to hum a soothing lullaby, a melody that seemed to drown out the cacophony of the storm. While others struggled to find their footing or succumbed to seasickness, you remained perfectly still, the rhythmic swaying of the ship having no effect on you.

As the storm eventually subsided and the ship settled into a calmer rhythm, you opened your eyes to find yourself observing the blonde guy resting comfortably in a hammock. Glancing around the room, you noticed that only four of you, had managed to weather the storm unscathed, unaffected by the unsettling movements of the ship. The rest were hopeless cases.

The door burst open, revealing the arrival of the ship's Captain. A figure with white hair and a red nose, the room fell silent as all eyes turned towards him. His muttered words were lost to you, too far to discern over the lingering echoes of the storm. Turning your gaze towards Gon, you watched with admiration as he rushed to assist the man who had entered, offering him water with a kind-hearted gesture. Soon, the Captain called for the four of you to accompany him to what appeared to be the ship's control room. As you stood in line before him, facing the weathered old man, he directed his attention towards you with a piercing gaze. "First, what are your names?" the Captain inquired, his voice carrying a tone of authority as he brought his pipe to his lips.

Gon eagerly raised his right hand, his cheerful demeanor shining through, he was the first to answer the Captain's inquiry.

"I'm Gon!" he exclaimed with unabashed enthusiasm. Next to speak was the teenager standing beside Gon, his voice carrying a stoic tone as he introduced himself simply as "Kurapika."