21. HELLO KIL

February 14th.

Four days after Leorio opened the first door of the Testing Gate, leaving Gon and Kurapika behind, the two males finally succeeded in opening the first door themselves, with Leorio opening the second door shortly after. Their weeks of rigorous training had paid off, and they owed a debt of gratitude to Zebro and Seaquant for their assistance in preparing them for the challenges ahead. Now, they could finally reunite with their friends, Killua and you, whom they hadn't seen in almost three weeks.

Well, except for Kurapika, who had unexpectedly encountered you by the river four days prior.

"Kurapika, are you alright? Why is your face so red?" Gon asked with concern as they made their way towards the Zoldyck mansion.

"Yeah, your cheeks are flushed. What's going on?" Leorio chimed in, prompting Kurapika to turn his head away to conceal his blushing face. He couldn't help but blush, remembering the night he had confessed his feelings to you.

The memory had overwhelmed him, and despite his efforts to focus on his training in the days since, your words from that night continued to echo in his mind.

"I like you too..."

Yes, it was true. You found yourself drawn to Kurapika, despite your efforts to deny or suppress your feelings.

Kurapika's eyes widened in pure shock, his lips slightly parted as he blinked rapidly, his gaze fixed on your eyes. "Wha-what did you say?" he stammered, unable to believe his ears.

Did you just confess that you liked him back? The thought was almost too much for him to process. He hadn't anticipated this, hadn't dared to hope that you might reciprocate his feelings.

"Don't make me repeat myself, Kurta," you replied, a faint blush coloring your otherwise composed demeanor. You attempted to look away, but Kurapika gently cupped your cheeks in his warm, soft palms, preventing you from turning away.

His smile. That angelic smile he wore at that moment. It was one of the reasons why you were drawn to him, one of the reasons why you were determined to help him out of the darkness that surrounded him. Ever since the day you witnessed his fight during the third phase, you knew Kurapika wouldn't stand a chance against them. They were too powerful, too formidable for your liking. You could see shades of Shin and Pairo within him, and you couldn't bear the thought of Kurapika meeting the same fate. You made a silent vow to help the last surviving Kurta, to alleviate the guilt that weighed heavily on your conscience.

Your breath caught in your throat as his lips brushed against yours. You gazed deeply into his dark gray ones, unsure of how to react to this unexpected gesture. It felt... nice. As he leaned back, you noticed the faint red tinge on his cheeks as he scratched the back of his neck, clearly embarrassed by his impulsive action. You remained stiff and unresponsive, unsure of how to process the moment.

"I-I'm sorry, Y/N, I- I didn't mean to—"You smiled, interrupting him.

"Do you think that was a real kiss? How innocent are you, Kurapika?" You smirked at his flustered expression. "Yes, I like you, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for a relationship. I mean, I'm not even sure if I love you or what. Heck, I don't even know if believing in love is real. I don't believe in falling in love, you know?" you explained.

Kurapika reached out and placed your hand over his heart. You could feel his rapid heartbeat beneath your palm.

"Every time you're near me, my heart beats like this," he confessed. "I didn't understand why until I saw you with Hisoka. That night, my heart raced twice as fast, and I realized I have feelings for you. I know it sounds strange, but it all started when we accidentally kissed. Since that day, you've been on my mind constantly. I know we didn't have the best start, but my feelings for you are real, Y/n."