1 | Where Does Love Go?

I loved real estate. I loved the smile on my clients' faces when they walk into a house and realize they want to turn it into their home. That was what kept me happy. I was a workaholic, but only because I knew it takes money to take care of a family. I wanted that with my girlfriend, Kandy, but I had to work for it first. Yes, I was wealthy, but she was a fashionista and kids aren't cheap.

My workdays we're a simple routine. I would go to work and either listen to clients babble on about what they want in their dream home, half of which were impossible, or I would drive them all about the city, touring multiple houses. By evening, I would be tired out of my mind.
I wrapped up the closing statement for the house I sold in the morning and grabbed my keys, iPhone, and bag pack. After another busy day, I stalked toward the parking lot and entered my car.

On my way home, I  decided to grab some chocolate for Kandy. I knew she had a sweet tooth and I had to apologize for not giving her enough attention. I drove to a supermarket a few blocks down the road and pulled into its parking lot.

Upon entering, I noticed three busy cashier stations to my right, placed parallel with each other, about four feet apart. As I ascended further, I read the signs that hung from the high ceiling which gave information on which aisle to find different products. I strode down the candy aisle, scanning the shelves for chocolates. In a few seconds, I came upon a section stacked with a variety of chocolates. I stalked back and forth, trying to decide which one to buy. With all my attention on what I was searching for, I walked straight into a stranger. It was a young woman. She sported straight chestnut hair that grazed her shoulders. 

 "Beautiful," I blurted my thoughts.

"Huh?" she asked while straightening herself from the collision.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there," I told her.

"No, no." The bright-eyed woman got a hold of her trolley again. "I wasn't looking where I was walking."

We both laughed and spoke in unison, "Chocolate."

The woman shared a kind smile and picked a bar of milk chocolate and walked away. I watched her disappear into the next aisle before turning my attention back to the stacks of chocolates. I picked the same one she had taken, along with a bar with raisins and nuts, then headed to the very back of one of the everlasting line that descended behind the cashiers.
People busied themselves by chatting each other up about random things while I thought about Kandy. I wanted to marry her.

When I had enough of all the people chattering, I passed the rest of the time listening to one of Rod Wave's albums. I was nodding to the beat of the music when I felt my earphones dragged from his ears. It was the same woman I bumped into earlier. "What?" I asked.

"Sorry, I noticed you're only cashing one item, so I was going to offer to cash it with my stuff and you pay me back," The woman proposed.

"Oh!" 

She took my chocolates and lead me past a few people in the line. "My basket is at the cashier, I'm next in line, let's go," She told me, entangling her hand with mine. When the cashier was finished I offered to carry the bags to the car. The woman had parked her car right next to mine

"There, you're all set." I shared a polite smile after fixing the large paper bag into the trunk of the woman's compact car. She handed me the bars of chocolate and I paid her with cash from his wallet. "Thanks, " I said.

"It's okay, it would be a shame to let you wait in that long line just for two bars of chocolate," The woman said after taking the cash.

"I guess so." We shared a smile. "I'm Lucas," I introduced myself to her.