4 | Disoreanted

The sour memories still plagued my mind. I felt as though life was now a nightmare I couldn't wake up from. To ease this pain, I turned to the one thing that would make me numb for at least a few hours. I watched people do it in many movies but always thought they were being dramatic. Now, it was my turn to lead a dramatic life. By midnight, I was drunk out of my mind. 

The air in my house was relatively warm, and though it bothered me I wasn't sober enough to fix it. I staggered upstairs and kicked my shoes off as usual. 
I slept through the night like a log and when I awoke a mighty headache had set in. I was growing used to these things.

Kandy was sprawled out on the bed, and I noticed how she missed me the moment I left. That made me feel good, but I still wondered why she wouldn't say a thing about her betrayal or why she didn't talk to me at all. I deserved an apology, no matter how shabby, but It was best to leave the incident in the past as my words might chase her away. This was something I wasn't prepared to do. I loved her too much to lose her, even if keeping her meant putting up with her life choices. 

Just like every other morning, I went for a run. On my way back, I met a woman standing next to my gate. When I reached her, I greeted her.  

The woman perked up at me with a curious face.  "Morning," she cleared her throat. "You look so familiar but I can't tell how I know you."

"I remember," I chuckled. "You're the cat lady, Liyla. we met at the supermarket the other day." I noticed the woman was wearing a tracksuit. " Do you live around these parts?" I had never seen her before that day at the store and I lived in Grove for over five years.

"Don't be silly." Liyla chuckled. She fixed her hair into a messy ponytail and leaned against the post. "That's my house." She pointed behind her at the grey and white replica of every other house in the neighborhood. 

I couldn't believe it. She was the neighbor we had never seen before. "Wait," I laughed, "So you're invisible Joe?" I and Timothy nicknamed the neighbors for fun. We knew someone moved in a year ago, but we never saw who it was. It was as if this person was a ghost. That was how the name came about.

"Who?"

"Invisible Joe. My best friend and I call you that because we never saw you." 

Liyla wore a puzzled expression but said nothing. 

"This is my house, right here," I informed her. 

"Oh, so you're probably invisible Jenna, then?" She frowned.

"Hey, it's just a nickname for the person who lives there," I noticed her reaction to the name wasn't what I quite expected. She didn't find it one bit funny.

Liyla rolled her eyes and played the music on her Ipad. "Whatever, I should go." She plugged in her earphones and ran off. 

Strangely, I felt somewhat attracted to Liyla. It would've been rude of me to ask but although she was running at six o clock, the eye bags under her eyes made it clear she would be better off sleeping a bit longer. I was curious to know her story but not curious enough to ask. 

I knew as soon as Timothy returned he would scold me relentlessly for still harboring Kandy after the news I received. I still didn't want to lose her, but I also didn't want to raise another man's child. The obvious solution was right in front of my face all along. As soon as I interviewed the two clients for the day, I was going to wait at home for when Kandy returned. No matter how difficult it would be to talk about I was going to air out all her dirty linen and ask her to leave. I could survive without her. 

"As soon as we have a house that matches your requests my secretary will give you a call," I told the couple whom I had just interviewed. They sat opposite me at my desk and from what I observed, they were newlywed. It was nice to see people who loved each other. It gave me hope that someday, I would be happy with someone too, and it wouldn't be a daydream.

"Wonderful," The woman smiled. "We'll be waiting." She and her husband stood to leave after thanking me.

"You're welcome, I'll see you soon," I told them. Minutes later, I was on my way home. Normally, I would be eager to see Kandy but this time I wasn't. I was finally realizing what Timothy kept warning me about. She was no good for me, not for any sensible man either.

Finally, I had the chance to rid myself of her. I even rehearsed what I would say, then I waited and waited. She never showed. It was then, I realized her belongings were gone and although I was going to break up with her, it still pained my heart to know that she left without even saying goodbye.

I retired to bed quite early. It was so long a night I thought it would never end. I never fancied sleeping alone and I never had to until now. For about half the night, I lied awake staring up at the grey ceiling. I wished my eyes would get tired and that the fan that spun above me would hypnotize me and it did.

I woke up in sync with the alarm. I didn't feel tired nor rested but I made it through the night and that was an accomplishment.