9 | Stranger Things

I Had a great week at work. It was now, I felt as though I was truly moving on. I didn't think of Kandy the entire week and it was the most refreshing feeling. The twins kept my mind busy when I wasn't at work, and I started to forget the taste of liquor. Timothy still didn't like the idea of me having the twins live with me, but Britanya convinced him to babysit them with her while I was at the office. 

My standing problem was the dream I suddenly started having. 

I looked up at the young man with wide eyes. he seemed to be not much younger than me or just about the same age.

He wandered the side of the road as if he was trying to figure something out. When he noticed me walking by the other side, he crossed the street and followed me until I stopped and faced him. "I know what you did," The man said. He took off his beanie and put one hand inside it and used the other to pick at the side. 

I studied his features. 

"Tell her I'm sorry." Tears began to run down his cheeks. "Tell her to let go and move on."

"who are y..." My question trailed off as he disappeared before my eyes. The next thing I knew I was screaming. 

I woke up to the sound of my own screams. My body shook like a leaf and it took me a moment to recollect the events of my dream. It puzzled me, for neither did I know who the man was, nor the woman he spoke of. It occurred to me that he was dead. I couldn't understand why a ghost would come to me for help. He was too young to be the twins' father and I had no clue who else he could be referring to. 

It was Friday and I had an important client to meet downtown. Timothy and his girlfriend were out of town, so I had no one to leave the twins with. 

"We can look after ourselves, mister..." Shaun followed me into the Tv room. "Sorry, I meant, uncle Lucas." He smiled sheepishly.

I chuckled at his choice of words. "I don't like the idea. I might have to stay out longer than I plan to." 

"So leave us with a neighbor then," He added. "Mommy used to do that."

My neighbors are the antisocial type. They barely talk to anyone and their kids don't even play in the yard. "I have an idea, follow me." 

Shaun giggled. "What is the idea, Uncle Lucas?" He ran behind me until we reached the front yard then he stopped. "You know someone?" He asked.

"Maybe." I threw my arm around his neck and we left the yard. I thought If Liyla was home, she would help me out. I hoped that she didn't hate kids and that she wouldn't question me about their origin. "Shaun, if she asks, say I'm your uncle and you're from up north, okay."

"Okay, uncle Lucas." He mocked. 

I ruffled his hair and we both chuckled. He was a good kid, just like his sister. She made me the sweetest apple pie. It was her mother's secret recipe, they said. I thought it was unusual that they could cook, but it was either that or running errands with their father, something even he hated. 

I knocked a couple of times on Liyla's door before it opened revealing her. She wore a yard dress that kissed her ankles and a handkerchief that she tied around her head. 

"Hi." She scratched her forehead. "Uh, good day."

"Hey," I scratched the back of my neck. "I was hoping you could do me a tiny favor." 

Liyla raised an eyebrow but kept quiet.

"I have an important meeting in town, but I need someone to watch my niece and nephew until I get back. 

"We won't give you any trouble, miss," Shaun added. 

Liyla smiled at Shaun. "Call me Liyla, you little gentleman." She looked up at me with a curious face but still didn't say a word to me. 

"So, could you?" I asked again. "It's just for a few hours. My best friend would do it but he's out of town for the weekend." 

"Sure." Liyla nodded. "They can come over." 

Shaun surprised both Liyla and me by throwing himself against her and hugging her. "Thank you, miss... Liyla. 

UNKNOWN POV

It's been two years since Kyle died. Seven hundred and thirty days since he was taken from me. He was my soulmate, my everything, but we never got the chance to be together forever. I still miss him every day. 

He would disagree, but it was my fault he died. It was me who called him in the middle of the night to pick me up from work. It was me who asked him to pull over to the side of the road and also me who asked him to keep watch while I peed. I could've kept that pee, should I know it would've cost him his life. It was a rainy night and I had just finished my shift at the restaurant. My coworker offered to drop me home but I refused because I disliked him quite a bit for no particular reason. I called Kyle and he came. Halfway home I had the urge to pee, and so I begged him to pull over. While I was peeing, a strong wind blew that sent a zink flying straight into his neck. Kyle bled to death on the side of the road and it was all my fault. 

Even though I skipped towns, the horrible memories still followed me. Each night I still dreamt of that one night. I've had so many sleepless nights I couldn't count them if I tried. Of late, my dreams of Kyle were no longer nightmares. He would come into my bedroom at night and lay next to me. At first, I was afraid but then I thought It wouldn't be too bad since he was once my lover. It felt good to be held by him once again, to be cuddled up against his chest like old times. He had a different scent, one that was of old spice and vanilla, But I didn't mind it. The sad thing was, often I forgot it was only but a dream.

Once again, I woke up to the other side of my bed untouched. It was then I realize it was truly just a dream and I didn't mind that as long as they were no longer nightmares. I'd be happier to sleep next to the ghost of my dead boyfriend than by myself. I hated sleeping alone and at my age, I was still scared of the dark. If the only company I had was Kyle's ghost, I'd take it with a smile as long as he only cuddled me and not try to have sex with me.