2 | A Bestfriend's Pain

The following workday was a difficult one. I sat at my desk with a pile of documents scattered before me. I tried to force myself to work, but the events from the night before haunted me to the point where I had to postpone my meetings. All I could do was sit there and stare into space.

"KENSINGTON," a voice shouted, snapping me out of thought.

My head shot up toward the voice, only to realize it was my best friend, Timothy.

He grinned, as once again, he caught me daydreaming.  "Bro, I've been calling you for, like, five minutes." He erupted into a fit of laughter.

I simply stared at him because I had no words to respond, nor did I wish to tell him what had happened.

"What's eating you up?" Timothy asked with a serious face. 

I couldn't ask for a better friend. It was like my problems were also his no matter how big or small.  We became close when we were just ten-years-old, and over the years, our bond became brotherly.

"It's nothing much," I said. "Just some minor stuff with Kandy." I swiftly turned my head to avoid Timothy's gaze as he could tell right away if I was lying. To me, it wasn't a lie; it was a big scale down of the truth because this minor stuff was tearing me apart.

"Bullshit, tell me what's wrong," Timothy growled. He always joked that nothing with Kandy could ever be minor but I knew he was serious. He was right too but he respected my decision although it was obvious he didn't like her very much. His thoughts were that Kandy cared more for my money than she did for me but I didn't see it that way and it didn't matter either.

"Tim, not so loud, God!" I begged, "My assistant will hear your big mouth. Besides, it's not a lie." I whispered the latter words as there was much truth to what he spoke. I just didn't want to admit it.

"Not true either." Timothy pulled out the two chairs opposite me at the desk and sat in one. In the other, he hoisted his legs for comfort.

"Okay, fine," It was only a matter of time before he dug the truth out, anyway. "I bought Kandy some chocolate to make up for not giving her much of my time lately."

"So what's wrong with that, bro?"

"You know, If you listen instead of talk, I could tell you." This was hard to say. Voicing it would only make it more real, and I didn't want that. "When I reached home, I heard moaning coming from upstairs. I thought she just couldn't wait for me to get home, so I hurried up, only to find her in lingerie."

"That's hot," Timothy said.

I shook my head. If only he knew what was to come. "She was riding some other guy. What hurts is that she didn't even acknowledge my presence."

Timothy's eyes bulged, but he didn't seem very surprised. A long haul of silence enveloped the room. I knew he felt bad for me and I also knew he wouldn't put it in just two words.  "See, I told you to leave her a long time ago," he said.

I leaned back in my chair and sighed. I couldn't deal with another of Timothy's lectures. He was always right, but he knew just how to make me feel bad for not taking his advice.

"You don't listen." Timothy stood from the chair and began pacing the room. He sat back down and hissed. "And you know what pisses me off?" he asked, staring at me. "She saw you. She fucking saw you, bro." He then raked his hands through his hair and stood up again. "Where is she now?"

"I left her at home this morning," I let out, before shrinking in my chair at his expression. It was like he was scolding me for being rude. 

"Wait, you slept beside her last night?" 

My inability to respond clarified it for him.

Timothy's face became red, and I knew he was mad at me. He ranted about how I could catch an STD just like that and that he knew I loved Kandy but thought I should love myself more. "Fuck!" Timothy shook his head in disbelief. "You're such a fool." he walked around the desk and crouched against it. "Bro, are you really going to let her use you like this?"

He was overreacting. I was the one in the relationship and I wasn't behaving like that. Of course, it hurt like hell, but I didn't want to make it a big deal. "You don't get it, bro. I love her," I whispered.

"I get it!" Timothy barked. "Love doesn't make people shed crocodile tears in their offices."

"This is why I didn't want to tell you," I babbled. "I knew you wouldn't understand." I let out a breath. "You're my best friend. You're throwing stones at my wounds instead of helping me heal them." I was now crying because I couldn't hold the tears any longer. He was right and I was wrong. I had a foolish heart.

"No, bro. It's just tough love," Timothy stated. He ventured across the room to the red couch that I kept there and sat. He gestured for me to join and as soon as I did, he spoke again, "I hate seeing you like this, bro. I know you love her, but she doesn't love you." He rested his hand on my shoulder. "She doesn't deserve you, bro, let her go. You'll find a decent woman soon."

I didn't want to hear that. Though he was right, I just couldn't accept it. All I wanted was to marry the woman and spoil her and start our family.  I didn't want to talk about it anymore so I decided it was time to leave the office. I grabbed my cell phone and cleared the desk. On our way out, we bid goodbye to the assistant, Mrs. Molly. We then drove to my house. It was just about ten minutes away, but still, Timothy was not a regular driver. He drove fast, and rather recklessly.

When we arrived, I entered the house through the garage and opened the front door for Timothy who stalked straight to the kitchen. We met on the side deck and he handed me a glass of Jack Daniels and sat in a red bean bag and hoisted legs onto the metal rail. "You know I'm lightheaded, why are you giving me this stuff?" I asked, sliding the glass across the pinewood floor.

Timothy slid it right back to me. "Drink it and stop bitching. It's good for your heart," He joked.

"You know just how to rub it in, don't you?" I hissed.

"I'm joking, bro, relax."

He shook his head and chuckled. The evening continued with us chatting each other up and laughing hysterically at random things. We played video games in the living room and listened to a barrage of music until sleep captured us. I was grateful that he could take my mind off the current situation. Still, I hoped Kandy would stay with me because I didn't want anyone else.

I know it was foolish but it was what I wanted.