7 | Two Or Too Many

Some nights I still felt like I was sleeping next to Kandy. There was something different about her and I liked it a lot. Her scent filled the air, not of cologne, but fresh flowers. When we slept she cuddled into me like a cat on a furry pillow. I was glad because I hated sleeping alone, but I was also confused because I'd wake up to the other side of the bed still empty and untouched. Nights like those made me wonder if I was losing my mind or if it were dreams I had at night that felt so real. 

My mornings were not much better than my nights. I often found myself making breakfast for two and calling Kandy to get her's before it got cold. It always got cold, and I'd never realize she was no longer home with me until I was halfway through my own meal. I sat at the small, round dining table with a dish of oatmeal and a fruit plate that I ate with my fingers. It was about mid-morning, and I didn't need to attend the office until late in the afternoon when I had an interview with an elderly woman.

I liked it when Timothy and his girlfriend were at my house. It was always filled with their chattering and laughter that put my mind at ease. Now that they had left, the house was once again empty, and I was back to feeling lonely. Times like those made me miss my parents. They died in a car crash when I was young and I never knew any other family. Timothy was the only one I had left and I knew that was why he was so hard on me. Although I was only two years younger than him, he was like the older brother I never had.

A knock on the door awoke me from napping on the couch.

 "Hold on, I'm coming."  I huffed and forced myself toward the door. Opening it revealed a twin boy and girl who had bright eyes and black hair. They looked not much older than twelve years old. "Uh, hi."

"Good morning, mister. We're Shaun and Shaunae." The little girl introduced herself and her brother. Her brother looked at her and she glanced at him before she spoke again. "Do you have a bathroom we can borrow?" 

"And perhaps, some drinking water?" Shaun, the boy added. 

I was lost In thought, wondering whose kids they were and how they found themselves in a gated neighborhood. 

"Mister?" They called in unison. 

"Yes, sure," I told them before widening the space in the doorway to allow them inside. "There's one right down the hall." I pointed past the living room. As they walked away, I observed their clothes were worn out and badly soiled. It occurred to me that they were either homeless or lost. 

I placed two glasses of iced water on the glass center table and awaited the twin. 

"Thank you, Mister," They said upon returning. 

I directed them to the glasses of water and watched how thirstily they gulped them.

"Are you lost? where are your parents?" I questioned them. "How did you get past the security at the gate?" 

The smiles they wore after their thirsts were quenched disappeared. We're homeless, Mister." Shaunae whispered. "We are trying to find Arther Street."

"Sit there." I pointed to the couch. 

At first, they hesitated, then they walked around the center table and sat. They glanced at each other, then fixed their gazes on me. 

"What and who is on Arther Street? " The street was not far from Grove, but it was anything but child friendly. They struck me as innocent kids, and I found myself wondering how they ended up homeless. 

"Someone told us about an old empty house there," Shaun told.

Shaunae held the hem of her green dress and started picking at it. 

"We're going to live there." 

A laugh I was trying to suppress escaped my lips. "What?" I found their story hard to believe and it got me curious as to why they felt it was safe to knock on a total stranger's door.

"Thank you, mister." The little girl held her brother's hand and they both stood.  "We have to go."

"Thank you." The boy said, and they turned for the door. 

I watched as they left, then closed the door behind them. At the back of my mind, I knew it was best to call the police. They were just kids, and anything could happen to them. I Knew if I heard of their misfortunes on the news, guilt would eat me alive, especially since I knew what it was like to have no family. 

With that thought, I rushed outside to stop them. "Wait," I called at the kids as they closed the gate. "I'll make you some lunch." 

Their eyes lit up but were quickly overshadowed by worry. 

"Relax, I won't hurt you."

They still hesitated and dragged each other into a heated conversation of which I couldn't hear a word. 

"Come back inside." I stepped out into the front yard. "I have Sandwiches and juice."

Shaunae glared at her brother and huffed before there both walked back through the gate.

I retired to the side deck to phone the police while they ate in the dining area. 

"911, What's your emergency?" 

"This is Mr. Kensington, from Kensington Corp. There are two-" I was cut off by shattering glass behind me. 

Shaunae stood with a worried face. "Please don't call the police, Mister." Tears filled her eyes and she didn't bother to wipe them away. 

I looked at her and saw how scared she was. Different emotions flashed across her eyes, and I saw the pain in them that she was trying to hide. The look on her face was enough to cut open old wounds I tried so hard to forget. 

"Sir, are you there?" The voice from my phone caught my attention and I lowered the phone from my ears in slow motion. 

"They will find you a place to stay,"  I told. 

Shaunae shook her head. "No." She finally wiped the teardrops from her cheeks. "They'll split us up." She sobbed. "We're our only family, please, mister."

I understood why they would prefer to be homeless than to be separated. I'd give anything to have at least my mom back. She was my superhero. Now, I was rigged between doing what was best and doing the right thing.

"Please, Mister." Shaunae etched closer to me. "Please."