015. UGLY TRUTH

NARRATOR

THE tall brunette stood before the small blonde, his eyes drooping with fatigue and pure stress.

"Harry?" The small girl asked, in pure disbelief. She began to take a few steps back out of fear, reminiscing on how her relationship ended with Harry.

Ugly.

On the other hand, he looked so pretty. A dream, if you will. Although he had dark stubble spread across his face and smelled faintly of vodka, he was still perfect in the petite pop stars eyes. His dreamy aura reached Blair's heart, blossoming the dead bud back into a somewhat grown flower.

"Blair." He breathed out, almost silently. The rain dripped across his now pale face, although he didn't seem to care. His eyes stayed fixated on Blair as he propped an elbow against the studio door.

"Waiting to be let in?" He asked awkwardly, attempting to break the silence between the pair of former lovers.

"Yeah, I guess so. Why are you here, Harry?" Blair asked defensively, wrapping her arms around chest in a self soothing hug.

"Auditioning. you too? Kelsey finally did something useful?" He chuckled wearingly to himself, reaching into his back pocket and retrieving a small white carton.

"She's been doing lots, actually. Promotion for my new album, booking more than Jeff ever did for
you." Blair replied defensively, testing her limits with Harry. She took another step backwards, but squinted her eyes and focused on Harry's.

His eyes lacked the normal luminescent green, and were instead traded for a duller and darker shade, more of a christmas tree rather than a serene color that calmed the girl.

"New album?" Harry raised his eyebrows, completely disregarding Blair's other comments about his former manager. "Yeah, next month." The blonde replied coldly, bringing a hand up to her now wet ponytail. Subtle waves appeared in the blonde locks, cascading like a river down her tan shoulders.

"Good for you." Harry nodded downwards as he pulled a cigarette out of the white carton and began to light it, turning his face away, careful to not blow smoke into his former girlfriends face.

Although they weren't together any longer and things ended on terrible terms, Harry still respected the girl.

She had been through more than most, and managed to release two albums within the span of a year. She was working her way up in the industry, with talks of grammy nominations and already earning the title of Billboards Woman of the Year again for 2017.

"Harry? " Blair asked with a tone of annoyance in her voice, pointing a hand towards the cloud of smoke seeping out of the crack between Harry's lips.

Harry raised his eyebrows, a subtle affirmation signaling Blair to continue, as he was clearly clueless, or so he wanted her to think.

Deep down, he knew it angered her. He somehow liked the attention he got from her. He missed it. Whether the attention was good or bad, he was still getting Blair to keep his name in her mouth.

"Dont fucking smoke on front of me. I can't believe you do that now." She snarled, pushing at Harry's chest slightly. He stumbled back weakly with a slight laugh, inhaling another puff from the white paper tube.

"Don't fucking push me, then." He fought back, his tone turning deeper.

"I can't deal with you right now, Harry. I need to focus." She breathed out, leaning her back against the brick studio building wall and leaning down until she was seated. Wishing he'd drop the tough and cynical act, she flicked open her phone and tried to tune him out.

"We all know you're gonna get it." Harry sighed, blowing more excess smoke out from his mouth.

"Ever since Moon died, it's been 'Blair Klein this, Blair Klein that'. I'm fucking sick of it." He replied angrily, hitting his palm against the brick wall, startling Blair.

"Don't bring that up, Harry." Blair choked out, staring at the ground below her. Tears began to form in the corner of her brown doe eyes, welling up and ready to spill out.

"Why?! You can't just fucking run from it forever." Harry cried out, shaking his head aggressively.
"Stop fucking yelling at me! Respect that I don't want to fucking talk about the hardest thing that's every happened to me and shut up, Harry." She cried out, small tears streaming from her face.

Harry's expression immediately softened at the sight of his distressed love. He took steps toward her and joined her on the concrete below, letting the rain wash over the pair. They both fell silent and stared at the ground, letting the rain hit them.

He wrapped a comforting arm around the girl as she leaned her head into his shoulder, missing the warmth he gave off. He didn't smell like his usual vanilla scent anymore, and instead reeked of vodka and cigarettes, but Blair didn't seem to mind.

The sound of a door opening startled the pair as Blair sprang up from her seat, not wanting herself to be seen with Harry. Anyone would be willing to twist it the wrong way for some media attention and money.

"Hey, Blair! Harry!" a tall man greeted as Blair climbed up in her heels, walking towards him and offering a handshake. "Dave Hemmings, nice to meet you." The director of Heartbreak Weather greeted, taking a hold of Blair's hand and shaking it.

Harry followed closely behind Blair, placing a comforting hand on her waist as he shook the directors hand, proposing a weak smile.

"I'm so sorry about the mixup, we were originally holding auditions in another studio." Dave apologized profusely, bowing down slightly to the pair.

"It's okay, Dave. All that matters is we're here now." Blair smiled, then faded as her eyes met with Harry's.

"Are you ready to begin the audition?" Dave asked as he handed the two stars packets with the auction script written on them, holding the door open so that the three could walk in.

Blair began to walk forward and glanced down at the script for a slight second, noticing the first line written across the page.

Time fixes everything, but the present still hurts.

© GRANDEGALORE 2021
VOTE/COMMENT