017. HE'S GOOD AT PRETENDING

NARRATOR

THE pair sat at opposite ends of a round purple table as their audition came to a close, not speaking a singular word to one another.

He's a good actor. Fit for this role. Blair thought to herself as she studied her ex from across the table. He's good at pretending.

His eyes drew upwards and met with hers, interlocking and exchanging a final glance. "I probably should get going, now." Blair cleared her throat in an attempt to break the silence.

"Better get home to that boyfriend of yours." Harry smirked annoyingly, getting under Blair's skin. "And shouldn't you get back to your 'girlfriend'?" Blair taunted in air quotes, referring to the fact that Harry had kept unusually private since the split with blair.

"Actually, I shouldn't. Broke it off a week ago." Harry sighed, rising up from his seat on the couch. Blair swallowed her thoughts, observing his body language. Was he lying? It wouldn't surprise her.

"Anyways, how's Pete doing? Alright?" Harry added quickly running a hand through his coffee colored hair. "Pete is amazing." Blair weakly smiled, wrapping her arms around her own torso into a self soothing hug. 

She stared back up at Harry's serene green eyes as they studied her carefully. Harry knew something was wrong with her and Pete. "That's good to hear, Blair. I'm happy for you." He instead replied, refusing to create anymore conflict. For fucks sake, he had already made the poor girl cry.

"Well, now I actually should get home." She smiled shyly, grabbing her jacket and draping it over her small shoulders. "Would you mind if I— I don't know, if I take you?" He proposed rather awkwardly. He didn't feel that it was right to leave his encounter with Blair on a note like this.

"Take me home?" the small blonde reiterated, raising her eyebrows up. Harry swallowed hard and nodded quickly, almost too quickly. he bent down and retrieved his jacket and car keys, waving them a few feet in front of Blair's face.

"What do you say, Klein? It'll be just like old times." Harry grinned. His expression instantly put the girl at ease. How could she possibly say no to a face like that, even if he looked slightly homeless.

"Like old times .." She whispered softly as she walked herself next to Harry, her body parallel with his significantly taller figure, a few inches taken away due to his horrendous posture.

She walked ahead of the curly headed boy, his gaze resting on the swishing movement of her blonde wavy ponytail as she rushed eagerly to leave the studio.

___

AFTER Harry opened the door to his white range rover, the small girl stepped inside carefully, looking around to see if anyone watched her leave with Harry.

Harry closed the passenger side door and did a little jog around the car, making his way over to the drivers seat. He climbed in and offered a small smile to Blair who placed her hands in her lap, clearly anxious.

"Ready?" He asked sweetly, staring the blonde up and down. She nodded quickly and adjusted her ponytail, bringing it forward and over her shoulder.

Harry turned back to his seat and started the car, pulling away from the set of heartbreak weather for a while. He forced a cough awkwardly as neither one said a word. After tapping a black button, music began to flow from the radio and filled the car with a remedy for the awkwardness.

"Your favorite song." Blair finally smiled, looking over at Harry next to her. He swallowed hard, slightly taken aback. Dreams by Fleetwood Mac filled the car with happiness and enchantment as the pair continued to sit in a much more comfortable silence and enjoyed the beautiful sound of Stevie Nicks' voice.

The pair continued to drive in silence as Harry turned the corner up to Blair's home, a place he had practically lived back and forth between for an entire year.

Everything still looked the exact same, in its exact place. The black flower pots still sat on the front porch, dog toys from her small animals remained in the front yard. It all looked just like normal. Harry was relieved to see Pete hadn't messed anything up for Blair, because he honestly couldn't handle anymore of it.

He began to pull his range rover up to gate to enter the pin he had practically memorized, until Blair stopped him. She placed a hand over his arms, making him remove his hands from the wheel.

"It's okay, I'll just walk up. Pete would probably be upset if he saw.. you know." She fake giggled softly, running a hand through the ends of her ponytail.
Harry nodded, although he didn't necessarily agree with it.

"Well it was good to see you, Klein." He nodded, looking back at her house behind the car. The sky was getting darker, the sun setting with colors of crimson and bronze painted across the clouds.

"It was good to see you too, Harry." She smiled genuinely, leaning in to give Harry a quick hug. He turned his face towards her cheek as the two exchanged a quick hug, to which Blair turned her face away from his mouth and winced slightly.

Harry's heart sank slightly at the feeling of rejection, however he had to let it go. She pulled away from the hug and gave Harry one last small smile, exiting the car and entering her home.

Harry watched carefully as Blair walked up the driveway and into her house, making sure she entered safely.

And just like that, the front door closed behind her and Blair was gone.

© GRANDEGALORE 2021
VOTE/COMMENT