CHAPTER 46 *NEW*

NOTE: Check out this hilarious, slightly chilling, and romantic read of Chapter 46 by kaelking12!

CHAPTER 46 

Lacey

Maddie's been in shock for the past two and half hours. It doesn't matter how calmly I've tried to explain and re-explain the story behind my short-lived relationship with Elias. Or how many details I tried to downplay about Cassie. Or how loudly Coach Calloway yelled at her to snap out of her daze during practice. Maddie kind of seems like she's—lost it.

She's sitting next to me, half-propped up on her sports bag, blankly staring out at our now empty locker room in total silence. I'm trying to be okay with it. I'm trying to do and say normal things like the conversation between us didn't come to a screeching halt after I basically told her everything that happened.

But that's the funny thing about secrets. They don't like living in the dark for too long. Eventually, whether you're prepared for it or not, they force their way into the sun. They step into the light where someone will see them.

And now Maddie has.

And as difficult as it was to open up to her about Elias at first, once I started, I couldn't stop.

And I don't know what that means.

I don't know if it's my head or my heart trying to work Elias out of my system or if I'm missing him out loud.

But either way, it's strange, wonderful ,and terrifying to have someone here who's listening. Genuinely listening.

Someone who's not a therapist.

Or counselor.

Or doctor.

I just hope her silence isn't a sign that I've said too much.

I finish packing the last of my sports clothes into my duffle and shut my locker with clumsy, trembling hands. I push against the metal door a little too fast and trap my pointer finger partially inside my locker. 

I let out something between a screech and a yelp which immediately draws Maddie's attention. She jumps to her feet, frantically grabs for the door, and pulls it open just wide enough to free me. She reaches for my hand and lifts it up to get a better view of my newly cracked and cosmic purple nail from behind her glasses.

"You know, under normal circumstances, I'd take this opportunity to ask if you're okay, sprint to the first aid room, and get you an ice pack, but now that I know what I know, things are gonna be different between us."

"Different? Why? Did I say something wrong?"

Maddie lets go of my hand, takes a slow breath in, and then lunges at me. She locks me in a rib-crushing hug that I'm sure she picked up from one or both of her parents. Whoever it was, Maddie definitely knows what it is to be loved the right way. She's living proof of what happens when homes stay happy.