The 2nd Day - Two Christmas Kisses

Chloe returned home from work the next day a bit frustrated. Lucifer had been at work with her this morning, but then he disappeared mysteriously around lunch time. Chloe had tried calling and texting him multiple times, but he never answered. 

She shoved her key in the lock, turned it, and then opened the door. She hadn't noticed the additional decoration hanging in the door frame, one she and Trixie had not put there yesterday. 

Chloe hung up her jacket and left her keys in the counter, enjoying the quiet and peace of her apartment. Trixie was with Dan today, so Chloe planned to relax with the Christmas lights, a bowl of popcorn, a glass of wine, and a little TV. 

First, she was going to change out of her work clothes. 

She walked upstairs, also failing to miss several new additions to her holiday décor. 

As Chloe turned into her room, she stopped and gasped, her heart pounding with shock. 

"Lucifer!" She yelled through clenched teeth. Her devilish partner was lounging on her bed, smiling at her. 

"What are you doing here? Why did you disappear earlier?" She demanded. 

Lucifer didn't say anything. Instead, he slowly got off the bed, and walked over to meet Chloe in the doorway. He smirked the entire time, only letting his eyes leave hers to glance momentarily upwards, before coming back to look down at her. 

Chloe's eyebrows furrowed and her annoyance only grew as he failed to answer her and just stared. 

"Lucifer," She began to repeat her previous questions, "I-"

Before Chloe could get another word out, Lucifer bent forward and kissed her. Chloe's eyes widened and she pushed him off after a second or two. 

"What are you doing?" She demanded again. "I'm mad at you! You ditched me at work!"

Lucifer only smirked, which made Chloe even more perturbed. 

A slight crease formed between his eyebrows as he teased, "Oh come on, Detective. You're ruining my favorite Christmas tradition!"

"What?" Chloe said under her breath, crossing her arms over her chest. 

Lucifer looked up again, but held his gaze there this time. 

Stubbornly, Chloe followed his gaze and scoffed indignantly at what she found. 

There, hanging in her bedroom doorway, was a small plant. Upon further inspection, she realized that it wasn't just a plant. It was bright green mistletoe, with a few white berries, and a red bow tied around the stem. 

Chloe shook her head and asked, "Is that why you ditched me today? You went and bought mistletoe to hang in my bedroom?"

Lucifer shifted his weight and vaguely answered, "Not just your bedroom, but yes, I did leave to buy mistletoe."

Chloe shook her head again, "You're unbelievable."

Lucifer exhaled, all glee leaving his face immediately, "Oh come on, Detective! You and your spawn have been trying so hard to get me in this holiday rubbish. Now that I'm sharing with you a Christmas tradition I actually rather enjoy, you're going to be stand-off-ish?"

Chloe's mouth hung open a little bit as she argued, "I'm not mad about the mistletoe! I'm mad that you left me high and dry for the rest of the day when we had work to do, and you didn't tell me where you were going!"

Lucifer slumped a little bit and admitted with a tiny smirk on his lips, "You're right. I apologize. I just wanted to surprise you with something for the holidays, especially when your offspring isn't around."

Chloe couldn't help but crack a smile at that. 

"How can I make it up to you?" Lucifer asked, his puppy-dog eyes and pouty-lip in full affect. 

Chloe quirked an eyebrow at him and decided, "Don't worry, I'll get back at you for the mistletoe. In the mean time, I was going to sit down in my quiet house, watch a movie, and relax. You want to join me and make up for lost time this afternoon?"

Lucifer smiled a cheshire grin and replied, "It'd be my honor!"

"Okay. Why don't you go find us some wine and start making the popcorn. I'm going to get changed into something more comfortable."

Lucifer nodded and began to stroll out the door when he called over his shoulder, "You could just wear nothing, darling!"

Chloe rolled her eyes and called back, "Popcorn. Now."

She heard him chuckle as he jogged down the stairs. 

A few minutes later, Chloe walked down the stairs in a hoodie and sweatpants. The salty and buttery smell of popcorn wafted in the room and she followed her nose to it as her stomach grumbled. 

Lucifer turned around with a glass of wine in each hand and a smile on his face. 

"Thanks," Chloe said as she took one glass from him and walked toward the couch. 

"The popcorn will be ready in a minute." Lucifer said. 

"Okay," Chloe replied, "I'll find something for us to watch. Do you have any ideas?"

"None," Lucifer answered her as the microwave beeped. "Go ahead and pick anything, love."

Chloe scrolled through her Netflix list as she lightly bit the nail on her thumb, oblivious to much else going on around her. 

Lucifer came over a minute later with a large bowl of popcorn. He set it down on the table between them and sat down on the couch, facing Chloe. 

She felt his eyes on her and she warily looked over. He was smiling at her again, and it was getting kind of creepy. 

"What?" She asked. 

Lucifer looked up. Chloe sighed and slowly raised her eyes to the ceiling. 

There was another bundle of mistletoe handing directly above the couch. 

Chloe sighed and slumped her shoulders as she continued to stare at it. 

"How did you even get that up there?" She asked. 

"I have my ways."

"Is that going to leave a mark?"

"It can, depending on how long you let me kiss you."

Chloe let her eyes come back down to Lucifer. While his little stunt was annoying, it was also very sweet. 

Chloe sat cross-legged on the couch and bent forward, pressing her lips against Lucifer. He tucked his hands underneath her and lifted her up into his lap.

The kissed for a while, being passionate yet gentle with each other. 

Their moment was broken when Chloe yawned. 

"Bloody hell, Detective!" Lucifer complained, "You're tired and it's only four o'clock in the afternoon!" 

Chloe laughed, "It's been a long day for me. You'd know if you hadn't gone shopping halfway through the day!"

Lucifer rolled his eyes and asked, "You're never going to forgive me for that, are you?"

Chloe gave a small smile and replied jokingly, "Maybe. I'll see how I feel."

She reached over into the popcorn bowl and popped a few pieces into her mouth. 

"Anyway," She said after chewing, "I think I found us a movie."

For the remainder of the evening, Chloe and Lucifer snuggled while eating popcorn, drinking wine, and watching the new Romantic Comedy, Holidate.