The 4th Day - Four Fuzzy Socks

The next day, after work, Chloe went back to the penthouse with Lucifer. Dan picked Trixie up from school to take her back to his apartment. She and Lucifer planned to work a little bit more on their newest case and then watch a movie under all of his new holiday decorations. Well...at least Chloe planned to do work. Lucifer always seems to get side-tracked. 

When they reached the penthouse, Lucifer's phone vibrated with an incoming text message. 

He huffed and apologized, "Sorry darling, one of my managers needs me to sign for a new shipment downstairs. I told them they can sign for it, but apparently this new bloody supplier is going 'Protocol this' and 'Protocol that'."

Lucifer sneered and shook his head while he typed a reply to his manager. 

Chloe smiled and replied, "No worries. I'll go set up in the library and see you when you get back."

"Thank you," Lucifer breathed and came in quickly to press a chaste kiss to Chloe's lips. She returned it, her eyes flitting closed for a second, and then watched him head back down the elevator. 

After wearing her heeled boots all day, her feet were beginning to ache. None of her other work-appropriate shoes did this, but this pair was new, so maybe she just had to break them in a little more. Even so, she discarded them and tucked them underneath the bar. 

The only problem with this - and this is a problem only noticed in bare feet or very thin socks - the penthouse's tile is really cold! It's likely a side effect of living in L.A. and having your air conditioning turned on for most of the year. Most of the time, people wear shoes in here, so nobody ever notices how the tile feels like ice under their feet. 

"Jeez!" Chloe muttered as she quickly padded her way over to the library to set up her laptop and notes. Then she remembered something as she glanced in the direction of Lucifer's grand walk-in closet. 

While they were out buying decorations yesterday, Chloe picked up one new pair of warm, fuzzy, slipper-socks. The few pairs she has now were several years old and beginning to thin. She kept this new pair at Lucifer's for now (along with a few other outfits she transferred here from her apartment) for when she spends the night. Chloe walked into the closet and found the section Lucifer removed some of his belongings from to make room for hers. She hasn't filled this space yet, but she plans to soon. Chloe opened one of the drawers and found the small pair of light pink socks. 

Welcoming the warmth and softness around her toes, Chloe smiled and sighed as she put them on. 

Now that her toes were warm and she could work without distraction, Chloe made her way back to the library. As she stepped back onto the tile, she must have been walking too fast because she felt her left foot slide out from under her, making her lose balance. 

"Whoa!" Chloe gasped as she gripped onto the nearest wall to catch herself. Once she had regained her balance and her heart slowed down a little bit from the scare, Chloe wondered why the hell she was all of a sudden so uncoordinated in the penthouse? Why is she losing balance so much lately?

Chloe looked down to examine her socks. Turning them over, she noticed this pair didn't have grippers on the bottom, which is likely why Chloe slipped. She hummed in understanding and just told herself that she'd have to be a little more careful. 

She took a step forward back to the library, but something caught her eye. 

There was a vast amount of tile in the penthouse and a lot of space. Chloe wondered, for a moment, that maybe she could use a little break from work? At least while Lucifer's downstairs, that is.

A bright grin broke out across Chloe's face as she took a few running, shuffle-steps forward to build momentum, and when she felt the time was right, she let the momentum take her body and she slid across the tile in front of the bar!

Chloe giggled at the exhilaration and brushed a few locks of hair out of her face.

Oh yeah, she was definitely taking a break now. 

Chloe shuffled over to Lucifer's speakers and connected her phone. She flipped through her playlist and found her more up-beat Christmas songs. Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses came on, and Chloe giggled as she built up moment again and slid across the penthouse.

Whooping and laughing, she just went back and forth, sliding around the penthouse like a ninja in her pink fuzzy socks. 

Toward the end of the song, the elevator dinged and Lucifer returned. 

"Honey! I'm-" He called cheekily into the apartment, but he stopped dead in his tracks when he realized that his speakers were blaring Christmas music and the detective was sliding around the penthouse.

"Home?" He finished with confusion, cocking one eyebrow and leaning his head to the side. 

Chloe slid back into the main room and laughed, "Hi!"

"Hi," Lucifer replied uncertainly. "Darling? What on Earth are you doing?"

Chloe worked on building up momentum again and slid toward his bedroom. 

"It's my socks! They're slippery. This is so much fun!" She called over her shoulder as she crashed into a wall and laughed. 

Then Lucifer remembered that he has a pair of those socks too! How he got them, he doesn't remember, but a black pair like that showed up in his sock drawer one day, and he never got rid of them. 

"Hold that thought!" He said as he dashed off into his closet. 

Chloe waited a minute. The song changed to Underneath the Tree by Kelly Clarkson. 

As the refrain climaxed, Lucifer sprinted out of his closet and laughed as he gracefully slid around the penthouse, reminding Chloe of the way a figure-skater maneuvers on the ice. 

While the music continued to blare overhead, Chloe and Lucifer slipped and slid around the penthouse (Chloe more so than Lucifer), crashing into everything, but they both laughed until their sides hurt. Chloe almost got Lucifer to fall over from laughing at her sliding into one of the Assyrian walls. 

Then he wanted to pretend that they were ninjas, so they slid around some more, and tried to tackle each other. 

Getting into the competitiveness of the game, Chloe and Lucifer found themselves on opposite sides of the penthouse. They began building energy at the same time, and once they felt they had enough, let go. 

They slid and slid and slid, getting closer and closer to each other until...

"OOF!" 

They crashed into one another and Lucifer, being the larger of the two, had more energy behind him, so he pushed Chloe over. Thinking quickly, he placed one hand under her head before it had a chance to crack against the tile.

As they made contact with the floor, they gasped at the impact.

"Are you all right?" Lucifer asked, checking around Chloe's head for injury. 

"Yeah, I'm fine." Chloe giggled, which made Lucifer giggle too. 

Their eyes met as their giggling died down, and then Lucifer purred, "Hmm, this reminds me of something else we like to do for fun."

He bent his head down lower, still cradling her in his arms, his lips coming nearer to her neck. 

Chloe hummed, a smirk crawling up her face, as she mumbled, "Since when are you on top for that thing we like to do?"

She heard his breath hitch and then up pulled up and away from her neck, furrowing his eyebrows and looking hard at her. 

"Must you ruin all my fun?" He asked, his words clipped. 

Chloe smiled and shook her head, a small laugh escaping her lips. 

"I'm just making a point!" She defended herself. 

"Shh," Lucifer hushed, placing a finger gently to her lips before proceeding down to her neck and continuing to whisper, "Pretend."

Chloe had no issues with that.