Chapter 4: The New Goal

Explaining how the universe works to Ash is no easy task. Kirsten wasn't expecting him to understand any of it and was hoping the two others Arceus invited would be able to explain it to him later.

Surprisingly, he understood enough to get the basic idea of the situation. He has only been cut off from the main timeline for what may of been just barely over a week, but he's already changing in ways he normally wouldn't. (Thanks to the writers not wanting him to grow up.)

"So let me just make sure," Ash began. "What we are in now is a copy of my own universe. The major difference here is that things that were never meant to happen can stay perimetry."

"That is correct." Kirsten responded.

"Also, the 'evil' Professor won't be able to appear in this world until the date I faced Bea, correct?"

"Correct."

"...And Goh still exists in the true timeline?"

"Yep. You two had fun battling a Zapdos alongside trying to save some Marchtomp from the ground not much longer after that."

Ash pouted. "That's what would of happened if things didn't change for me?"

Kirsten nods. "But that isn't important right now. What is important is preparing for the next major battle."

"Stopping the evil Professor from changing this timeline."

The girl nods again.

'But in order to do that, don't we need Goh to summon Zamazenta?' Pikachu, now finally adding its two sense in, asked.

"You would, if this was the main timeline." The girl closed her eyes for a second. It seems as if she lost her smile for just a moment. Barely noticed by Ash. "But in this new timeline, I somehow was granted the role. Someone from a world that shouldn't even be interacting with you."

'You're gonna come here?' Pikachu asked. 'Wouldn't doing that make the universal situation... worse...?'

The girl now truly lost her smile. "If we don't stop this, everyone in my world will die at some point."

"...Die?"

"Yes Ash, die. I'm sure you remember Dawn telling you her mother caught a sudden unknown illness?"

The boy nods slowly.

"In my world, we dubbed this illness 'COVID-19.' Although it seems like people are surviving it, they don't realize it's still inside them. Once someone has this illness, it will kill them." The girl looked down, tears falling. "The reason why this illness even exists is due to the ripples created within this world. I won't just fighting for your world. I'll also be fighting to protect the ones I love."

Ash could feel the emotional pain in her voice. Then it hit him. "I don't want to pry, but... did you give up your ability to live with the ones you love in order to save the world?"

Kirsten looked at him, tears still falling from her eyes, but she forced a smile on her face. "Yeah, I did. In order to save the ones I love, I came here to help you save the world."

Ash's Greninja, who has been closer to the girls side this whole time, went to hug her. For some reason, the sight of seeing the ninja frog give love to another put a smile on Ash's face.

"So," Kirsten Kazeko began to speak once again, "Will you allow me to help you save the universe, alongside saving Goh and Lei?"

Ash finally got up from the sand in the dream world. Slowly but surely, he walked in the direction of the girl. Showing his signature smile, he replied.

"Let's save everyone together."