Chapter Four

I tied my hair in a messy ponytail and pushed back the stubborn hairs that bounced in front of my face. I looked at my Environmental homework with a scowl and every five minutes I would force myself to stay away from my phone that sat on my nightstand charging. I had nothing to do, so I started doing next weeks homework in hopes of some distraction from the quiet and boring weekend ahead. 

Half way through the assignment I gave up and just threw everything inside my bag. I rolled back on my bed and just listened to the song playing on my spotify playlist. I didn't have close friends and moments like right now I wish I could grab the phone and call someone to grab a drink. But, unfortunately I was the classical book worm with the "weird pops".  

My only friend, Amy was on her break with her family in Toronto so any chances of having any plans for this week were gone. My phone has been quiet the whole night only getting a couple notifications from twitter. I was tempted to call my dad but he was probably busy at the lab and I knew that if I called him he would get upset for waking up late for class. 

Just as my eyes were beginning to close I heard the door open and the familiar jingle of my fathers keys. I smiled tiredly and slowly went down to greet him at his office. 

"Dad!" I said as I barged into the room with my arms extended to him for a hug. My dad turned around and laughed giving me a kiss on my forehead. 

"Sweety, you're awake! I hope we didn't wake you up?" I looked at him strangely and looked around him and saw no one there. My dad just laughed and turned me around and right next to the door stood the tall figure of Ward. 

I was completely confused and unsure on how to speak to it, my dad had left my side and was on his desk looking through papers talking to himself. 

"Dad what is he doing here?" I whispered in his ear, I glanced back at Ward with wary eyes. I was worried he would explode like a science project gone bad. My dad kept working unaware that I asked him a question 5 seconds ago. I got closer and held him firmly by his shoulders; he stopped his fuss and looked at me with a weird look. 

"Sere, Ward is our guest-'' he straightened up and turned around to face me and that thing. "I was going to call you tomorrow in the morning when you were awake to tell you that I had to go Japan. They want to settle down a business that could change the course of our lives... HA! maybe even this world.'' He chuckled to himself like he just told a joke and I just stood there with huge question mark on my face. 

"Then Ward isn't going to be guest if he's going with you pops" Now it was my turn to chuckle. I gave Ward a full inspection in awe that he looked so normal, anyone could mistake him as human. But not I, I knew that instead of human DNA he was made by complicated computer codes. Instead of a real human body with flesh and bones, he was made by metal and gears. 

He was dressed in fitted dark jeans with black timberland and a white shirt. Nothing about what he was wearing was astounding but yet this machine managed to look really good with it. 

My attention was brought back to my dad who began packing his papers and passport in a brief case. He shook his head and spoke as he worked, "No sweet heart, Ward is going to be staying here with you during the week that I'm away. He can't stay in the lab if I'm not there and there wasn't any other place for him to stay. Please do me the favor and show him around and then take him shopping for new clothes. Be nice to him and teach him as much as you can about society and how to get 'cool with the dogs'." I flinched at his old way of saying things and looked at him with total disbelief. 

"Dad, really?" I'm supposed to babysit your lab rat? What if I go out with my friends? Then what? take him with me?" I kept bombarding him with questions that were running wild in my mind. All the while he continued to do his stuff like he wasn't listening. But i knew better. The frown on his lips gave me proof that everything i was saying was going through his head.