1.

Prologue

She couldn't think of anything at the moment. She didn't know what colour her hair was, didn't remember how old she was, hell, she didn't even have time to think about her own name. Just her mission.

Finding the city.

Get to the city before they get to her. This dragging herself wouldn't do any good to her. Whatever supplies she had, if they could be called that in the first place, had run out last night. Even though she'd been pushing herself without food or water for the past day now, she had to run. Because they were coming. And they would drag her back to that hell-hole, that rotting place where she would no doubt die within a week.

She'll make it. She has to. She didn't come this far for nothing. Days and days in these endless, unforgiving mountains. All that effort, all those years before, spent running and hiding. She deserved a chance at being happy. A shot at life, the way she wanted it to be. She'll make it.

I have to make it. Giving up now is not an option. I will never go back. She thought. But just then, voices, far behind but, they're coming.

Wings beating in distance, shouting of angry males.

Damn it! I need to hurry or I have to hide. Quickly.

But there was nowhere to hide. Just rocks and rocks. Not even a tree in sight. Those beating wings were coming closer. She ran like the wind. Even though her body objected, her breath coming out in ragged puffs, piercing her throat and lungs like daggers.

Stupid! How pathetically stupid she felt. Thinking she could outrun death like this. She had to be crazy. Had to come to terms with the harsh reality like being hit in the face with a stone.

She was going to die.

But just as the tears began rolling down her cheeks, just as she was about to fall to her knees, she felt it. This strange shift in the air around her.

It was like there was a wall in front of her that pushed her back, like the waves closing in on you. But she pushed back too, not letting herself think of what this could be, not believing it yet. She pushed and let that wall feel her desperation, her need, her helplessness and her mind- her will to cause no harm to anyone or anything behind that wall. And just like that, she was sucked in, the waves now closing in behind her.

But she could see through that wall, they were so close now, those winged males now close enough to make her out. She would not go without a fight. She drew her sword with her shaking hands, willing them to be still as she moved her legs into a defensive position, and waited.

However, something strange happened. They were close now but, it was almost as if they couldn't see her. Couldn't spot her among the hills and the stones. They crept closer and closer and she watched as they flew straight ahead over her head.

What? Did that really just happen? She followed their movement as they crossed over her head and that's when she knew.

It was magic. It was the wards which were put in place to protect this ancient city that were now protecting her. Because what lay in front of her was the most beautiful thing she had ever laid eyes on. She had made it. She made it! As relief coursed through her, she felt the blade slip through her fingers.

Everything went blurry and then dark.

Cover Credit: https://images.app.goo.gl/ga1gcETk1giH9cod6

Author's note: Hi you! Fellow ACOTAR lover :D
Thank you so much for taking the time to go through this chapter. This is my first attempt at writing and I really appreciate your support. I hope this story is loved by readers because that's my wish to the stars who are listening.
Much love <3