⚤ The reaper whose name is death ⚤

Prince's POV

Prince's POV

Tyka was squeezing my shoulder the last time I was about to say goodbye to my daughter. I felt my legs failing to obey me, but I had to do it. Though I really wanted to turn back time and have my child back.

But it was impossible. Everything and everyone reminded me of my personal tragedy. Fucking newspapers, where I saw my daughter's beautiful face on the covers every day, or numerous TV stations that were constantly discussing this pointless death.

A beautiful young girl, a rock star's illegitimate daughter ...

Of course, the reference that Cherica was my illegitimate daughter was paramount. No one could know that she was sweet and kind, that she was a great mother to Emmeline, and she loved her father dearly, though she had only known him for a moment ...

Cherica appeared in my life like the sun that went out too quickly. I felt like an old man as I approached the open coffin where my beautiful daughter rested.

As I forced myself to look at her perfect face, now the face of death, my chest tightened. It was hard for me to breathe, my sister noticed this and asked:

— Skipp, are you okay?

Today, for the first time in many years, I haven't put my makeup on. Tears filled my eyes again as, trembling all over my body, I approached my daughter.

Cherica was beautifully prepared, the red dress in perfect contrast to her dark curls.

My beloved child. How much was she with me? It wasn't even a few months, and I was going to have her forever.

I touched her cheek, bitterly cold. Wearing posthumous makeup, she suddenly reminded me of Liz when I and my ex-girlfriend went to Drew Cymone's party one time.

Liz was wearing a red dress then. And now our daughter was lying in the coffin. Was Liz still taking revenge on me from beyond the grave? She's gone, but Cherica stayed. Now I only had Emi.

The sight of her sad, pretty face made my heart break in two. She still wanted to be with me and Manuela. But it was on my lap that she most liked sitting, cuddled up. I felt that my granddaughter trusted me as she once trusted my daughter. Now little girl only had me.

— She shouldn't be here — I whispered and looked at my sister. — Cherica should start a new life with me, in Paisley Park. We were supposed to make up for lost years and what happened? I barely got my daughter back, and now I'm saying goodbye to her. Why did that happen, Tyka?

Shhh — Tyka hugged me and cried herself. She stroked my hair, and I felt a moment of relief. — None of us wanted that. It was a certain motherfucker who killed our lovely girl and we have to deal with this loss.

But I didn't want to, but I had to. There was someone who needed me the most right now. Emmeline.

When I first saw this sweet, happy child, I felt a great love for her. It wasn't long before Cherica and Emmeline became the most important people in my life. Emi still wanted to be with me, she loved cuddling, and I was always able to look after her and give her my love. My secretary, Grace, joked that I look like a father with a little daughter rather than a young grandfather with a granddaughter.

Tyka didn't know, but I was yesterday in a private room, where Cherica was lying in a refrigerator. In a few hours, the funeral home staff would prepare her for the ceremony. I asked for an exclusive hour. I wanted to be with my daughter. I had seen her in this condition before and preferred to see her when she was ready for her last goodbye, but it was stronger than me. So I did it.

I was sitting next to her body, which was in a special refrigerator. I was looking at her through the glass because the funeral director had warned me that it was better to remove the body only when they were getting her ready for the ceremony. So I was soaking up my daughter's face, which seemed different than before. The froze mask of the girl who had been the sun in Paisley Park for a short time.

When I returned home in despair, Manuela was sleeping with Emmeline. My little granddaughter cuddled up to my girlfriend and at first I thought I was seeing Cherica and Emi. Then I threw my jacket on the armchair and, fully clothed, lay down in front of Manuela. Manni had a possessive embrace of Emmeline who looked like a little sleeping angel.

I was now going to be a father to my little granddaughter. Did I know anything about it? I never had a child, but I wanted one very much. I touched Emmeline's afro her hair was so soft.

When Amiir died, I couldn't accept his loss. I carried a recording with me, which recorded the sound of his heartbeat. Then, when I was in the recording studio, I would play the tape and cry.

Now I have lost my firstborn child. Two of my children died and I never got to know them. Now I had to be strong and stable if I was to be considered the perfect foster parent for this little girl.

Emi was devastated and lost as only a fouryearold child could be. She kept asking about her mom if she would come back from heaven. And she was also talking about Bianca, Cherica's friend, who went out into the unknown with my former employee.

I will be the best parent for her, I thought and kissed my granddaughter on the head. Luckily, Emi did not wake up, but snuggled closer to Manni.

I felt very tired after a while my eyes closed and I fell asleep.