⚤ Pa John, part one ⚤

Cherica's POV

I was surprised to learn that Prince's father, John, had invited me to his house. It would take a long time for me to call him grandfather. He understood it and suggested a simple solution - he ordered to speak to himself by name.

—I wonder what the purpose of this meeting is — I thought as I stood in front of the mirror brushing my hair. Manni was sitting in a chair in my room, resting her chin on her hand. — It's strange that he suddenly wants to see me.

—Maybe he's planning a silent murder?— Manni lifted the corner of her mouth, and I turned toward her and tapped my forehead. —I'm joking, Cher!

—I know — I sighed. —But I don't feel ready to meet with Prince's father.

—With your grandfather — Manni corrected me. —You say John said Prince knew about your visit to the purple house.

—Yes — I nodded. — I was thinking of calling Prince, but could John be lying to me?

— You don't know him, and who knows, maybe he's capable of even worse things ...

— Manni, you are in a good mood for jokes today ...

—Good attitude, yes.— Manni stood up and walked over to me. She put her hands on my shoulders and now I could see her face next to mine in a mirror image. — But let's be honest ... you don't know John and you don't know what his intentions are. But it could also be that he just wants to see you and Emmeline. After all, you are his family, and the fact that he knows about you has only recently motivated him to meet you and your daughter. He doesn't necessarily want something from you.

— You're right. But it feels strange to go to John's house without Prince.

—Let go of your father's heels — Manni chuckled. —You're a big girl, Cher. Just meet John and enjoy the time together.

—Maybe I'll call Prince after all?

— But for what purpose? After all, he knows about everything, and now he is probably following his artistic inspiration and may be, to put it mildly, nervous that someone is interrupting him.

Manni convinced me. I gave up my intention to call Prince and decided to get myself and Emi ready to visit John.

***

As we passed Paisley gate, I turned to see the white building receding. I don't know why I did it. Maybe because this is the first time I have left this place since the assault. My injuries after beating disappeared and I didn't have to apply a special foundation, concealer and powder to my face. Finally, I looked like my old self and was even happy to visit my relative.

—Does Pa John have a big house?— Emmeline asked, hugging the purple pony Prince gave her. — Like Grandpa Prince?

—I don't know — I replied and kissed her head. — Probably so.

—John's house is much smaller than Paisley.— Winnie laughed and looked at us from his rearview mirror. — But this house is special.

—Why?— Emi asked, squirming in my lap.

—Because the walls of this house are the same color as your toy, honey — Winnie explained and winked at her. — I think purple is the hallmark of this family.

Emi opened her mouth, not understanding the guard's last sentence.

— Winnie means Pa John and your grandfather love the color — I explained, stroking my girl's afro. — Purple.

— I love it too —Emi laughed.—If Grandpa loves this color, so do I.

I smiled at that confession. Emi loved Prince and vice versa. She thought he was the best and wanted to be with him all the time. Sometimes I felt jealous of my daughter's feelings. But I was glad that Emi loved Prince and that their bond was very special very quickly. My relationship with Prince was very good and I had the impression that I have known him forever, but I am not fooling the facts. I still felt as if I was part of a different reality, because how else could you call Prince's world? I was supposed to live a normal life, but in fact, I was surrounded by luxury, I was driven everywhere by expensive limousines, I could have what I wanted and suddenly I could stop worrying whether I would have money to live tomorrow.

But I wasn't really interested in my father's money. Somehow I managed and I was able to take care of myself and my child. I just wanted Prince close to me and that's it. For me, he could also be a beggar, and I would love him just as much.

—We're going to Pa John, we're going to Pa John!— Emi sang sweetly, and I was still thinking about the purpose of this visit. Maybe Manni was right and in fact John just wanted to meet? Maybe I should take it easy.

I took a deep breath and Emi was engrossed in playing with her pony. Prince was her grandfather, so John Nelson was her great-grandfather, and to make it easier for the four-year—old, Prince suggested that Emi call John Pa John.

—Can Pa John sing like Grandpa?— Emi asked. — What do you think, mommy?

—Everyone can sing.— I smiled warmly at her.

—But not everyone sings nicely — Emi muttered, pouting her lips. —My grandfather sings beautifully, or maybe Pa John sings ugly?

Winnie laughed and I frowned.

— Emi, you can't do that. — I scolded her and she said:

— But Mommy, maybe it's true. Maybe Pa John sings badly.

—Flower — Winnie cut in, looking at my child from the rearview mirror. — Your Pa John sings well, Grandpa Prince has a talent after him.

Emi's eyes widened and she looked at me. I laughed and stroked her afro; her curly hair stuck out wildly, I always had a hard time taming her strands.

—See — I said, and raised an eyebrow. —Pa John can sing, though.