9

"This is a nice color on you."

Jersey blew out some air as she grabbed the hand mirror. Nervously, she brought it towards her face, hoping she would look good. Her eyes examined the little hair she had on her head. Her kinky hair was in small, curly ringlets that looked gorgeous.

"This is a nice color." Jersey finally agreed as a small smirk appeared on her face. She continued to look at herself in the mirror. "Thank you, Nachelle."

"You're welcome." Nachelle cheesed, showing off her pearly whites and that small gap. She stood behind her with one arm leaning against the chair.

Jersey ended up cutting all of her hair off. It was something she couldn't quite remember contemplating on, but she ended up snipping away her tresses.

Instead of walking around with her hair looking crazy, she decided to hit up Nachelle. She was a known hairstylist in Brooklyn, and she was also Kelli's big sister. Jersey went to her because she didn't know too many hairstylists.

"Now tell me again why the fuck you cut all of your hair off?" Nachelle questioned her coolly. She knew Jersey very well. "The last time I saw you, your shit was hanging down your neck."

Jersey shrugged her shoulders, not really knowing. She had made the decision while under the influence of weed. It had been a while since she smoked, so she was definitely tripping that night.

"I don't like having long hair." Jersey excused herself honestly while shaking her head. She was feeling the copper color that Nachelle managed to do. It suited her brown skin well and plus it made her curls look more defined.

"But you looked cute with your inches, girl."  Nachelle continued. "This short style suits you though, this is you. And I'm really loving this color."

Jersey brought the mirror up once more to look at herself.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome..." Nachelle trailed off as she started tidying up her space. "So, have you talked to Kelli?"

Suddenly, Jersey's mood went sour. She placed the mirror on her lap and sighed lightly. "I see her around."

"You see her around a lot." Nachelle added while raising her eyebrows. "I know she's staying in the same building as you."

"Oh, I don't live over there anymore." Jersey spat before she could think. She glanced over at Nachelle before placing her eyes on her manicured nails. "I have my own apartment now."

"Well, that's good. I'm happy for you, Jay."

"Thanks...so why did Kelli leave Robenne's house?"

Nachelle pushed out some air before shaking her head. "Girl, over some petty shit. You know how Kelli is when it comes to money. Mama wanted her to help out with the bills and that turned into an ugly brawl." She shrugged her shoulder and said, "Typical shit."

"I'm not even surprised..."

Kelli managed to pull the same stunt back at Malcolm's apartment. She didn't help with the rent, utilities, nor the toiletries. She was basically living in Manhattan rent-free.

Before Jersey could look away, she noticed a leggy woman making her way out of the bathroom. Judging from the slightly drenched paper towel in her hand, she'd just finished using the restroom. She placed her eyes on the curvy woman who just stood there staring at her.

Jersey's eyes narrowed into slits as she casually looked away. She remembered the girl from Instagram. She was the same girl who Kelli forced her to look at.