10

THIS CHAPTER IS OKAY.

"Wait a minute, what did you just say to me, young lady?" A voice called out, causing Jersey to turn around. She looked over and realized it was just Bernie. Obviously, she was hard of hearing. Jersey had said what she said and was finished with the conversation.

Bernie pointed her manicured finger at Jersey and said, "Don't you talk to me like that. You don't know me."

"And you don't know me either, and yet you're cursing at me and telling me how I better not fuck up with your grandson." Jersey snapped back. "You need to talk to him and not me about fucking up relationships. Now, if you will excuse me...I need to find him."

Bernie stood there with her mouth gaped. She ran her hands together, watching Jersey wander away from her.

Where the hell is he? Jersey cursed under her breath as she tried to survive through the sea of people who continued to fill the house.

To her left, she could see Dean and Shaye. The pair was busy sharing a glass of punch. Shaye wore a bright smile as she laughed away with the beverage in her hand. Dean held a neutral expression on his face as he continued the conversation with her.

Jersey rolled her eyes, not convinced by their relationship. She knew a last-minute decision when she saw one. Judging from Dean's furrowed brow and sullen expression, he didn't mean to invite Shaye.

Then why bring her? Jersey questioned herself as she wrinkled her nose.

"Who pissed you off?"

Startled by the deep voice, Jersey jumped a little and turned around. She knew who the voice belonged to; he just caught her in her vulnerability.

Malcolm examined her as he lifted a brow and tilted his head to the side. He noticed that she still had an ill expression etched across her sienna-colored face.

He put all of the jokes aside and inched closer to her.

"What's wrong?"

"That lady..." Jersey trailed off while folding her arms. "I'm assuming she's your grandmother."

Malcolm lowered his eyes. He knew she was talking about Bernie. After finding out about Jersey's past—thanks to June—she'd already made it clear that she didn't care for Jersey. "The fuck she do to you?"

Jersey pushed out some air from her lips and rolled her eyes back over to Malcolm. With her arms still folded, she shrugged her shoulders and said, "She just...walked up to me and started talking about how she heard about me and if I hurt you and fuck over you, she's coming for me."

Malcolm lowered his head. He was upset with his grandma for her words, but he was also thankful that she didn't mention Jersey's past. Malcolm wasn't worried about Jersey's feelings being hurt. Instead, he was concerned about his grandmother's wellbeing. Jersey had a temper and could get lethal if pissed off enough.

"...How does she even know me?" Jersey questioned Malcolm as she leaned over, trying to look at his handsome face. "I mean...she was cool with me until I told her my name was Jersey."

"Shit..." Malcolm trailed off while shaking his head. "June."

Jersey raised her eyebrows as she backed away. "Oh, so June been talking about me to your family?"

"I talked to her about it."

"Malcolm...I swear," Jersey warned him while shaking her index finger. "I'm trying to be peaceful and respectful because I just met your family. But I'm not with that drama shit. I'm going to defend myself."