5 - Unsaid Feelings

The constant cool breeze of La Push makes me snuggle further into my jacket. I knock the door again getting impatient due to the cold. It has been a couple of days since I shifted to forks and this is my first weekend after work here. The unexpected meeting with Sam made me realize just how much I missed out on Leah's life. We were close few years ago and I miss it now. So, here I am, at their doorstep knocking since forever. Sorry. That's my impatience talking. Knocking on it since the last five minutes.

I hear shuffling on the other side and see Harry open the door apologizing for the delay. "Hey Harry. Am I disturbing?" I ask seeing the bunch of papers cluttered around on the table. "No, you aren't. It's just some community work." he replies closing the door and adding fire wood to the crackling fire seeing my shivering form. "Oh! Is Leah home?" I ask getting straight to the point. Nodding, he hollers for Leah and we hear some noise indicating that she is coming to the fireplace.

Removing my jacket, I scoot closer to the fireplace, gazing at it and finding comfort in the warmth. Reaching me, Leah places a hand on my shoulder breaking me from my reverie and leading me to her room. "So, what brings you here? Everything alright?" asks Leah. So we are at the denial stage. "Yep. All good. What about you?" I ask hoping she would start talking about her feelings. "Good."she replies curtly. I'm not sure if it is the lie or the weather that irritates me now.

"I met Sam a couple of days ago at the beach. I would have liked to hear about your engagement breaking from you." I answer. Sighing, she turns away and asks, "What do you want me to say?" "Anything would've been better than the silence. You are not alone. We all are with you and being cooped up in your home is not the solution.The Leah I knew was not like this." I reply my voice raising a bit in the end.

"The Leah you knew was not dumped without a proper reason by the person she trusted the most."she all but shouts. Good. Now she is talking. I stay silent letting her vent out her hurt. "I loved him. I still do. Everything was perfect and then he goes missing for a fortnight and the first thing he does when he is back, is break up with me. The bastard did not even explain why."She starts panting at this point. Passing her a glass of water, I pat her back trying to get her breathing to normal.

Knowing that the story is not done yet, I remain quiet. "Emily comes here to provide me comfort and the next thing I know, she is mauled by a bear and when she recovers, they both get together. I don't.. I just don't know where I went wrong." Her voice turns to a whisper at the end. I was surprised the other day, when I had dinner at Sam's, to see Emily there. I never knew her personally but I've met her a couple of times through Leah.

My heart breaks watching my strong friend crumble before me. Gathering her in a hug, I let her shed some tears on my shoulder wishing I was there to support her when she was suffering. She calms down soon and says, "Thank you. I needed to let that out." Waving off her thanks, we spend the evening, catching up on the happenings of our lives.

***********************************

"Why don't you stay back for dinner?" offers Sue. I politely decline the offer promising to have it sometime soon. Suddenly, Sue hugs me whispering in my ear, "Thank you so much for checking on Leah. I was getting worried for her. She seems much better now." Pulling back, I smile at her and say, "She is family. This is the least I can do for her." Squeezing my hands, she lets out another grateful smile and bids me goodbye.

Waving at my extended family, I rev the engine taking off towards Forks. Not in the mood to return home yet, I wander the streets exploring the town. After a while, I come across a park and park the car nearby. Grabbing a seat, I watch the kids playing around wondering how they are sustaining the chilled breeze. I'll probably be able to do so too after few months.

"Hello" A voice makes me look up at the man standing beside me. "Hello Dr. Cullen. Fancy seeing you here." I greet him surprised on running into him. "May I?" he gestures to the place beside me and makes himself comfortable at my nod. "Lovely day is it?" he asks striking a conversation. "Yeah. If you ignore the weather." I reply. "Not a fan of cold?"he asks turning to me. "I like cold. It is just hard to adjust to it immediately after shifting from a hot place." I reply.

"I hear you are from Arizona? Can I ask the reason for your shifting?" he asks. My face drops as I remember the reason. A few minutes of silence follows before I state my reason. "My mom passed away and my dad couldn't bear to stay in the house anymore. I didn't want him here alone so I shifted too." "My condolences. I'm sorry I brought it up." he replies. Smiling at him halfheartedly, I ask, "You've shifted here recently too. May I ask the reason?" "Change of atmosphere" he replies with a tight lipped smile.

"What were you doing here at the park?" I inquire. "I was walking by and saw you here. I came to greet you." he replied. I stare at him astonished. Chuckling at my expression, he says, "You intrigue me. My mind is constantly plagued by thoughts about you. I've asked your father for permission, Would you allow me to take you on a date?"

If I was astonished before, I am beyond surprised now. So, this was why my father was hinting at him being single. This man is sure straightforward and a bit old fashioned too. I have never heard of someone who takes the father's permission for asking a girl out for a date. I voice my thoughts, "We have met only once and it is a brief encounter. Don't you think it is bit too early?"

"It is alright if you are not interested."he looks a bit down. I instantly feel bad and say, "Its not that I am not interested. You seem to be a nice guy. I am just wary that it is too early." Sending a strained smile my way, he replies, "There is rarely any chance we would meet if we do not take an initiative. How about a date as friends?" "Okay."

"Did you somehow know that I am coming here?" I ask then hit myself mentally. I did not know I was coming here till I crossed the park. How would he know it. Shrinking into my coat to hide my embarrassment, I say, "You don't have to answer that." He chuckles at me but says nothing.

Time seems to freeze as we stare at each other. What felt like an hour but a couple of minutes later, a nagging voice in the back of my heads sets of an alarm telling me that I've been staring at him. Snapping out of it, I get up and say, "I have to go. Its nice talking to you." "Its been a pleasure. I am looking forward to our date. I'll text you the day and time. Please let me know if you are free." I raise at my eyebrow at him hearing his words. Smiling sheepishly, he continues, "Your father gave me your number."

I shut my eyes close half in embarrassment and half in irritation. Taking a deep breath, I look at the handsome man before me and nod at him sending him a smile, taking care not to let it turn to a grimace. Heading back to my car, I make a mental note to myself to talk to my dad.

==================================

Hello everyone!

Here's the next chapter of Portrait. How is it?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Please vote and comment❤️

Stay safe, be happy and have a great day/night❤️