8 - Miguel

Eleanor's POV:

"Excuse me"

"Yes?" I turn around stopping in my tracks.

Oh wow.

The handsome man before me chuckles and I glance at Lily to see her giggling.

Oh no. Shit. I did it again.

I spoke my thoughts out loud before a handsome man again.

"Do you have a habit of blurting out your thoughts before handsome men Miss Knight?" asks someone playfully. It takes a minute for me to identify her to be the nurse working with Dr. Cullen.

I blush beetroot red and look down attempting to cover my face with my hair. Laughing softly, the man introduces himself.

"Hello Miss Knight? I am Miguel. Nice to meet you."

"Hello Miguel. I am Eleanor. Wait. Miguel as in the chef taking these classes?" I ask wondering if I made a fool of myself before the instructor. Knowing my luck, I must have. And just as I thought, he nods his head confirming it.

"Hey Lily! You here?" He greets Lily. They know each other?

"Do you both know each other?" I ask the chef.

"Yes. I worked at Cora's cafe for a while. I am looking forward to your cooking." says the chef. But before I can respond, a little devil named Lily does the honors.

"She is a horrible cook. Trust me. Don't look forward to it."

A horrified expression takes over my face as I try to cover it up with sarcasm. "Thank you Lily. That does not embarrass me at all."

Chuckling the chef comes to my rescue with a smile. "It's okay. You would not have come here if you weren't horrible at cooking. So, it's good that you are not a pro." If I hadn't known better, I would say that smile is flirtatious. He wouldn't flirt with a stranger now, would he?

Shaking the thoughts off, I send him a smile and get to my aisle. It seems dad's attempts to get me a boyfriend are getting to me. The rest of the class went fairly well if I ignore how I almost cut my fingers off trying to follow Miguel's techniques and also burnt the dish I was trying to cook. Lifting Lily off the counter, I grab my bag and start for home dreading the encounter with Miguel - who is standing at the entrance - after my disaster in the class today.

"You...uh.. You will get better." says Miguel chuckling awkwardly.

Nodding at him, I go to my car and open it but Lily stops me by hugging me tightly. Feeling her tears soaking my shirt, I pull her back and give her a questioning look.

"I know both you and uncle Xavi agreed to these classes to get my mind off daddy. Thank you. I still miss him but I feel better now."

Kneeling to her height, I wipe her tears and say, "Sweetie, you are a part of our family. Besides, you saw how I was today. I definitely need these classes if our home has to remain intact."

She giggles at my response and climbs into the car strapping herself with the seat belt.

**************************************

Author's POV:

The atmosphere of the room was heavy with sorrow as Eleanor climbed down the stairs and entered the living room, clad in a black dress that reached down to her knees. Strapping on her heels, she forwarded her hand to the little six year old, also clad in black.

Lily clutched her friend's hand and nodded in gratitude as Nora smiled encouragingly at her. A honk made the duo head to the car and find Xavier in the driver's seat.  The ride to Waylon's funeral was quiet with the father-daughter duo checking in on Waylon's daughter time and again.

Arriving at the funeral, Nora leads Lily to her mother and hugs Cora muttering her condolences. Finding a seat, she engages in a meaningless conversation with her father. Few moments later, feeling a presence beside her, she turns to find Miguel dressed in a suit looking handsome. Merlin's beard you are in a funeral Nora. Now is not the time for this. She chides herself.

"Hello Miguel. I did not expect you to be here." she says expressing her surprise.

"I worked at Cora's cafe for a while remember.. I knew them since then." answered Miguel with a sad yet charming smile.

Clearing his throat, Nora's father gains their attention as he asks, "And who might this strapping young man be?"

"I am Miguel sir. I am a chef. The instructor at the culinary course that your daughter is taking." answers Miguel.

"Ah! Right. You're the guy Lily told me about." replies Xavier.

Xavier notices few of his colleagues enter the hall and excuses himself leaving the couple to themselves. Few moments of awkwardness follows and Miguel initiates small talk.

"Were you close to Waylon?" he asks

"A little bit. It has been a while since I last met him before the accident. I have been more closer to Cora than Waylon. What about you?" replies Eleanor.

"I wouldn't say I am very close but we were good friends. It is a shame to lose him." says Miguel.

Before Nora could reply, the funeral proceedings start breaking their conversation. A while later, Xavier, Nora and Miguel walk out slowly to the parking lot. Xavier suddenly turns the duo and says,

"I have some errands to run. Nora dear, why don't you go with Miguel?"

Surprised at his actions, Eleanor says, "It's okay Dad. I can walk the way back or take the bus."

"It wouldn't be any trouble for him. Is it Miguel?" asks Xavier embarrassing her.

Miguel agrees with an amused smile and leads Nora to his car.

****************************************

Eleanor's POV:

Bidding Miguel good bye, I jog to my home and take out the keys. However the door is already open and I walk in cautiously to see Dad settled on the couch drinking beer and watching the game.

"Dad? Weren't you supposed to go out?"

"How was the ride with Miguel? It took longer than expected. He seems like a nice guy." replies Dad. So, my suspicion is right.

"Dad, you did not have any errands to run right?" I ask, my voice laced with suspicion. His cheeky grin confirms it.

"Dad!! I thought you wanted me to date Dr. Cullen" I exclaim.

Shrugging he replies, "It doesn't hurt to keep your options open."

"Oh my god! Dad! You're impossible."

===============================

Hello everyone!

Wish you a very happy and prosperous new year

Here's the next chapter of Nora's life. How is it? What do you think of Miguel?

Looking forward to reading your opinions

Please vote and comment

Stay safe, be happy and have a great day/night ❤️