CHAPTER 1 - MUN (MODEL UNITED NATIONS)

"Yes, the Delegate of United States of America, you have the floor for the next 60 seconds", exclaimed the chair, as I, Abhimanyu Mantri, the very enthusiastic delegate of USA, picked up my presidential statement and went forward, taking the mic from Sahil, the only volunteer present in our room.

For an instance, I looked into my watch which had the date and time set as 3rd August - 1:45 pm.

A hot sunny afternoon, our stomachs full of the PBM and Gulab jamuns, which were seldom made in our school, as well as the cool breeze along with the fans working at their top speed, (which is usually 5, the most common ). All these, so called events, were quite successful to create a drowsy atmosphere in the committee, just before my encouraging speech.

Out of the 51 delegates in our committee, I could actually observe at least 15 of them, in no mood of challenging each other in the next motion. So, my immediate objective, was to lift up the spirits high of my fellow room-mates in the conference room, in the character of Donald Trump, because the presidential statement is all about your character sketch, along with some typical proverbs, usually copied from Google.

At the same time, I had to compete with the students of St.Martin school, who had the only motive of taking the best delegate trophy home, defeating us, the recognized "VIDYARTHIS" of Delhi Public School.

My speech went off pretty well. There were about a 20-25 students banging on their desks, most of them being the members of my bloc. However, walking back to my seat, I was gazing towards a single person, the one with a perfect formal attire, matching an actual delegate, in the United Nations. She had her hair tied with a single pony tail (I am amused by these words - pony tail), perfectly fitting black footwear and a Titan watch on her left wrist. The most attractive part of her entire attire, according to my skillful eyes (as I was observing her very accurately) was her spectacles. To be frank, I have a significant amount of knowledge, about the female attires. Thanks to my elder sister, who is the most beautiful girl in the world.

Coming back to this another beautiful girl, she was sitting on the third desk of the middle row, and I, exactly at an angle of 180 degree, which means beside her, nevertheless in the first row.

Don't increase your expectations guys, it wasn't this easy!

Suddenly, after one complete Moderated Caucus followed by an Un-Mod, there was a motion on the floor. Although, I am a very attentive Munner (Munner stands for "a delegate of MUN"), but I had my complete attention at the resolution to be submitted in an hour or so.

The only words of the motion, which I still remember are "....I would request the chair to allow me to challenge the Delegate of France and Russia, with the delegate of United States of America at my side, in a 2 on 2 debate."

I was never as anxious as now, before standing up for any debate. The thought of withdrawing myself from this motion, raised by Shrushti, the delegate of India, a good friend of mine, was running all over my mind.

And the only, major and the very important reason of this weird thought was the fact that the most elegantly dressed girl in a black suit, with her pony tail, formal shoes, titan watch, in short, the girl, whom I was staring, ignoring my very important resolution, was none other than the Delegate of Russia.

I got the same reaction from Kabir, my BFF. He knew most of my secrets, and this one toh he was the only one who was aware of. He gave a pat on my back, looking at me, with his mocking smile, as it was my turn to get up and answer, whether I would join Shrushti, to debate against the delegate of Russia, Shweta Kalantry, whom I supposedly liked.

*****************************************************************************************

The Writer's Note -