CHAPTER 10 - USNE KYA BOLA..."Yes" or "No"

"Aayushi, Kartik, Ishaan and Aishwarya."

"These are the 4 remaining people, who are a part of the skit in this year's annual day." – As Maam repeated the names, I was a little dejected, because neither Kabir nor Shweta, were a part of the skit.

Especially Shweta, because she had given her name, but she might have been late. During the lunch period, when I informed about the same, while we were filling our bottles, from the common filter, she reacted," Arre yaar...maine maam ko bola tha...ki mujhe part lena hain and I am interested."

"I am sorry, but there is a possibility, ki maam ne pehle hi students choose kar liye ho." Still I could see that she was dejected.

"Acha suno...tum ek baar sirf maam se wapas baat kar lo ya phir sirf puch lo, ki maam – any updates about the students taking part in the Annual day skit." I gave her an unpredictable idea, which may or may not work.

"Thike...ek baar try karti hoon...otherwise nahi ho payega..."

"Yaar Abhi, yeh last annual day tha yaar..." – Shweta spoke, a little desolate.

"I know, but ab main kuch nahi kar sakta." With a blank look, on my face, I spoke, as we parted with each other.

Nevertheless, she was unable to get herself into the list of students, taking part in the skit, which was supposed to be performed in the Annual Day function of the Delhi Public School.

The only reason, wherein I could make myself contended about her, was the fact that not only dance but she was along with me in the comparers' list as well.

I still remember the moment, when maam called out the list of the remaining 3 students, who were supposed to be the comparers in the Annual day and had not been called to her cabin. After listening to the 3 names, all of a sudden, I asked maam," Can I call these remaining students maam?"

She gave me the paper, which had Shweta's name in the middle, officially the 9th name in the list of 10 students. Nevertheless, it was more important that she was there in it.

While the 4 of us were walking to maam's cabin, one of them in between asked," Abhi, yeh toh bata, maam ne bulaya kyu hain?"

"Surprise Surprise" I answered as we kept walking, while the person who had asked me the question, giggled a little.

As soon as we stood on the threshold of the door, to maam's cabin, I whispered to them which includes Shweta," Congratulations, you are the comparers."

Shweta gave me a smiling glance as we entered the room and she thanked maam, at the same time. I could see that all the faces who were selected to speak, by going up on the stage, were indeed proud and delighted about this fact.

In our dances, we were together, in the same dance, but it is not like, we danced on the same beat. A fix track of more than 10-12 songs was made, and the girls and boys of grade 10th A and 10th C, were supposed to dance, on this song-tape. All of us came together, only in the 2 last songs, which were majorly related to Ganpati Bappa. She stood in the second row, of the girl's section towards the right, whereas I was present in the very first row of boys, 3rd from the left. Never mind.

I spoke to myself – "Everything in excess is harmful for the body." When Kabira teased me saying – "Wah Abhi, har cheez mein tum log saath ho. Main toh bolta hoon, jaake bol de." He mockingly smiled.

"Kabira.....na munna na" we laughed at each other, but then he spoke something, out of serious concern – "But Abhi, jokes apart, tujhe sachme woh pasand hain kya?"