Chapter 16: Daring for Dinner

Cerise sat at the small kitchen table and stared at her parents. They ate in silence. The mood was definitely tense when her father had nothing to say about classes thus far or how the most recent hunting season went.

    It was obvious that this had something to do with whatever her mother wasn't telling her. But right now, that insignificant bit of information wasn't what Cerise wanted. Right now, she wanted good old parental advice.

    "So... can I talk to you guys?"

    "Of course you can." Her mother replied, lovingly. "What is it, sweetie?"

    "What if, I had a friend... who really liked, and I mean like liked, someone from another story."

    "Well, assuming this friend is you." Her father began. "I think that they should know better given who their parents are." He nodded at his bulky wolf body and then to the red cloak draped over her mother.

    "That's not the issue." Cerise sighed, giving up on the whole "Friend" thing. "The guy I like has another person in his story that he is supposed to end up with. And that someone is really attached to him. It would break her heart if she found out."

    "Does he like you back?"

    "Yes, I think so." She paused before adding, "But I don't know if he is willing to leave his story behind for me."

    "Have you asked him this?"

    "No."

    "Then how do you know he isn't willing."

    "I guess I don't." Cerise sighed. "I spent so much time avoiding him, that I never thought to ask him how he felt."

    "Well, I think you should do so when you go back to school." Her mother encouraged.

    "But what about A-" She caught herself before saying the Princess's name. "What about the other girl?"

    "If she truly cares about him, then she will be happy to see him with someone he loves."

    "And if she isn't," Her father added. "Then she is selfish, and the brat needs to get her priorities straight."

    "Badie!" Red Riding Hood reprimanded, smacking one of her husband's fluffy arms. "What he means to say is..." Red said shooting a glare at her husband. "That if she isn't willing to give him away for his happiness, then she doesn't really love him. She just likes the idea of him and their story." She turned to the Big Bad Wolf and snickered. "Remember how the Huntsman was?"

    "Oh yeah, that guy was all over you. He didn't care about your mother at all, but was still ready to marry her at a moment's notice." Cerise laughed. It was the first time she had in a while, it felt good. 

    Cerise went to bed that night, without a care about what her mother was hiding from her. She wasn't going to stay up half the night and use her werewolf hearing to see if her parents talked about it, (which was her original plan) instead she would dream about the possible outcomes of confronting Daring, and about a life that they might have together one day.